The Cedar Rapids Parks and Recreation Department maintains walking trails throughout the park system as well as recreational trails in the city. The trails wind through wooded areas, shady parks, along streams, the Cedar River, and downtown Cedar Rapids. Most trails are surfaced with crushed limestone. The Cedar River Trail and Cedar Lake Loop Trail are asphalt and concrete and are kept open throughout the year. The crushed limestone trails are not cleared in the winter.
In the winter, asphalt trails will be cleared of snow as soon as possible to maintain transportation routes. Trails will be cleared of weekend snow on the following Monday. The department also marks and grooms cross-country ski trails at Cherry Hill Park, Ellis Park Golf Course, Twin Pines Golf Course and the Sac and Fox Trail.
- Download the comprehensive trails map
- Cross-Country Ski Trails
- Mountain Biking Trails
- Recreational Trails (bike, in-line skating, walking and running)
- Seminole Valley Cross-Country Course
- Walking Trails in parks
|Trail||Description||Location of closure or detour||Anticipated date of reopening|
|Sac & Fox||Closed for culvert replacement and flood mitigation maintenance.||Wilder Drive SE to Sun Valley Park||mid October|
|Cedar River Trail PARKING LOT||Parking lot closure due to neighboring construction. Trail remains open.||Parking lot south of McCloud Pl NE is closed||Spring 2018|
CEMAR TRAIL CONSTRUCTION
- Completed: Phase 2: 20th Street to 29th Street
- Upcoming/Ongoing: Phase 1: runs the perimeter of the Mount Mercy University Athletic Complex, F Avenue NE, 16th Street NE, and H Avenue NE.
Phase 1 will include:
- Phase 1B: 12 foot trail along the south side of Daniels Park, a 10 foot trail along the easterly side of Daniels Park, and bicycle racks in the vicinity of the baseball field parking lot and the splash pads.
- Phase 1D: 12 foot trail along the north side of F Avenue from 16th Street to 17th Street, the southerly perimeter of the Mount Mercy Athletic complex, and to the north of the Franklin Middle School running track.
- Improvements are being coordinated with the construction of Mount Mercy’s Athletic Complex. Construction is anticipated to start fall 2016 and be completed spring 2017.
EDGEWOOD RD TRAIL NW CONSTRUCTION
A new multi-use pathway will be underway this summer on the east side of Edgewood Road NW. When complete, a trail connection will exist between O Avenue NW and Ellis Rd, tying into the existing Ellis Park Trail.
- 2017 will include much of the prep work for the project, including grading and storm sewer.
- 2018 will begin on the paving as well as new traffic signals at the O Ave and Ellis Rd intersection.
- The 10’ wide trail will also incorporate sidewalk and ADA improvements for trail access.
Rate our service by completing this Customer Satisfaction Survey.