Flood Recovery Plans
The Cedar Rapids City Council established a clear action plan for recovery after the Flood of 2008 - the Cedar Rapids Flood Recovery & Reinvestment Plan. This plan includes a vision and three-part focus for building a greater Cedar Rapids.
- Improve Flood Protection: We will strengthen the protection of our homes, businesses and public facilities against future flooding. The City's flood management strategy includes temporary barriers to reinforce current levees; construction of a permanent system of floodwalls and levees; and the pursuit of improved state watershed management policies.
- Interim Flood Protection Plan
- Long Term Flood Management Strategy (Map)
- Voluntary Property Acquisition (Buyout) Program
- Demolition Program
- Reinvest in Housing, Businesses & Neighborhoods: We are reinvesting in the neighborhoods and business districts along the Cedar River to create vibrant centers for our kids, grandkids and the next generation workforce.
- River Corridor Redevelopment Plan
- Neighborhood Planning Process
- Neighborhood Reinvestment Action Plans
- ROOTS Homeownership Initiative
- Rebuild Public Facilities: We will rebuild and repair the flood-damaged City facilities with a focus on customer service needs and sustainable construction standards that will last for decades to come. Our commitment to sustainability reflects the need to protect our environment, assure long term economic vitality and control the cost of government.