Cross-country (Nordic) ski on a trail near your home, or venture out to enjoy trails throughout the City. Trails are located at Cherry Hill Park, Ellis Golf Course, Twin Pines Golf Course, and the Sac and Fox Trail. They are opened, marked and groomed when they are completely covered with snow. Call the Winter Sports Hotline, 319-286-5700, for trail openings and conditions.
Soar down the snow-covered hills at Bowman, Jones and Shawnee Parks! The sledding hills open when enough snow accumulates to completely cover them. Please have fun and observe the safe sledding tips below:
Safe Sledding Tips
- Sledding can cause severe injuries. Sled at your own risk.
- Choose a hill that has a gentle slope and that is free of obstacles such as trees, signs, fences, rocks, river, parked or moving vehicles, railway track, and holes or jumps.
- Sled during the daylight or on a well-lit hill.
- Dress properly, protecting hands, feet, and your face from the cold.
- Tuck in any scarves, strings, or long hats that could potentially catch on a rock or tree and cause strangulation or other serious injuries.
- Sled by sitting or kneeling down. Never go down head first or standing up.
- Check your sled for cracks or damage before use. Choose sleds that you can steer or stop.
- Have only the recommended number of passengers on a sled at one time.
- Wait until the path is clear before starting down the hill. This could help prevent you from running into another person on your way down.
- Move out of the way quickly if you fall or stop suddenly.
- Walk back up the side of the hill, away from others sledding.
- Parents should go on sleds with children under the age of 5.
- Have an adult supervise children while they are sledding.
- Avoid hills that are too icy; you want to be able to stop if needed.
- Avoid overcrowding a sled or toboggan with too many riders.
Ice rinks are unsupervised. Rinks are constructed using a plastic liner which results in better quality ice and a longer skating season. There are timed lights that shut off at 10:00 p.m.
- Arthur School Rink, 2630 B Avenue NE - located just north of the school
- Bever Park Rink, 2700 Bever Avenue SE