Never miss collection day.
Get an alert on your phone or through email the evening before collection begins in your neighborhood. CRNewsNow — it’s how the City lets you know!
*** Important Leaf Collection Reminder ***
The Solid Waste & Recycling division URGES RESIDENTS to REMOVE any twigs, sticks, and lingering debris from leaf collection piles.
- Sticks larger than 6 inches in length can clog the leaf vacuum equipment and cause serious damage, delaying collection operations. Leaf piles must be free of twigs and branches to be collected by the leaf vacuum trucks.
- Small brush piles of twigs and sticks can be discarded in your YARDY cart.
Spring Loose Leaf Vacuum Collection | April 3-28, 2023
The Solid Waste & Recycling division will begin operating leaf vacuum trucks on Monday, April 3, 2023. Residents can expect leaf collection on their regular garbage day unless the trucks are slowed by weather or volume. If service is slowed by weather or volume, the division will strive to reach any missed properties the next day.
- Residents should place leaves in long rows on the grass or parking area beside the street for collection.
- Leaves must be kept out of the street and away from obstacles like mailboxes, signs, poles, and trees.
- The vacuum truck will not collect leaves from alleys.
- Leaf piles should be free from brush and debris. Sticks and twigs can be placed in the YARDY cart for collection, and litter should be bagged and placed in your garbage can.
- Please do not park cars in front of leaf piles; the truck will not be able to collect the leaves.
All leaves must be raked to the collection area by 7 a.m. on your regular collection day. If leaves are put out late, we cannot guarantee collection.
If you have questions about the Spring Loose Leaf Collection Program, please give the Solid Waste & Recycling Division a call at 319-286-5897.
Additional leaf collection options
Customers can use their YARDY carts for the collection of leaves and other organic materials. YARDY carts are collected on a weekly basis throughout the year. Some customers have found that mulching leaves before placing in the YARDY cart increases the amount of material that will fit in the cart. There is a 300-pound weight limit for the 95-gallon YARDY cart.
Additional YARDY carts can be purchased for a one-time fee, which is added to your municipal utility bill. The additional YARDY cart is the property of the customer. For more information about purchasing additional YARDY carts, contact the Solid Waste & Recycling Division at (319) 286-5897.
During fall and spring (April only) leaf vacuum collection periods, paper leaf bags can be used for any leaves that do not fit in your YARDY cart. Leaf bags will ONLY be picked up if they are placed at the curb with a filled YARDY cart. Each leaf bag must weigh less than 40 pounds.
Leaf Vacuum Program Basics
- Crews cannot collect leaves if piles have sticks mixed with the leaves. Please fill your YARDY cart with sticks and other yard waste. YARDY carts are collected all year long.
- Rake leaves into long piles on the parking area or grass next to the street. Leaves must be kept out of the street. The vacuum truck will not collect leaves from alleys.
- Debris piles will present additional challenges for the start of leaf collection. Please ensure leaf piles are separated from any piles of tree debris.
- Keep leaf piles away from obstacles like your collection carts, mailboxes, cars, and utility poles. If possible, remove parked cars from the street on collection days.
- During fall loose leaf collection, brown paper lawn and leaf bags are collected every week with the YARDY cart. Your YARDY cart must be used first; then paper lawn and leaf bags can be used for any additional leaves. Filled bags cannot exceed 40 pounds.