Construction of Cedar Rapids Water Pollution Control Facilities (CRWPCF) started in 1975-76 and the facility became operational in April 1980. Prior wastewater treatment facilities had been in operation since the late 1920’s and were located at the present site of Cedar Rapids/Linn County Solid Waste Agency compost operations by the downtown landfill.

Funding for the construction of CRWPCF was primarily accomplished through a U.S. Environmental Protection Agency grant that paid for 90% of the facility. All residential, commercial, and industrial customers at that time were required to pay the remaining 10%. The original cost of the facility was $80 million, while the current estimated replacement cost for CRWPCF is over $250 million.

Cedar Rapids Water Control Pollution Facilities is one of the few advanced wastewater treatment facilities in the State of Iowa. Most treatment facilities provide two levels of treatment, but treatment operations at CRWPCF typically provide three treatment levels plus final disinfection and dechlorination.

Permits for the facility are issued by the Iowa Department of Natural Resources and are generally referred to as NPDES (National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System) permits.

© 2024  Cedar Rapids, Iowa, 101 First Street SE

Powered By Revize Login