Contact Information
Utilities Customer Service
Water Administration Building
1111 Shaver Rd. NE
Cedar Rapids, IA 52402

Mail Payments to:
Cedar Rapids Municipal Utilities
PO Box 3255
Cedar Rapids, IA 52406-3255

Phone: 319-286-5900

Mon-Fri: 7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Credit Card Payment

How do I pay my Municipal Utility Bill with a credit/debit card?
What types of credit cards do you accept?

You can use any credit or debit card featuring the Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express logo.

More Information: Pay with Credit Card

How do I get a refund if there is a mistake?
In cases where you believe a fraudulent charge has appeared on your credit card or bank statement, please contact your bank.

In cases where you believe there is a duplicate or inaccurate charge to your credit card, please contact Cedar Rapids Municipal Utilities Customer Service at 319-286-5900.

Can I pay more or less than the full amount that I owe?
Yes, any payment amount up to a maximum amount of $750.00 per transaction will be accepted.
More Information: Pay by Credit Card
Can I apply my payment to specific items or charges?
Not at this time. Payments are applied to the oldest charges listed on your account first.
More Information: Pay by Credit Card
Will I be charged a fee if I pay with my credit card?
Yes. Our payment processing partner, Paymentus, will assess a convenience fee for paying by card. This fee is retained by our vendor; the Utilities do not benefit from the assessment of this fee.

There are several other convenient payment options that do not have fees.
More Information: Payment Options

How soon will my utility account be credited?
Your credit card payment is applied to your utility account within 1–2 business days.

If you are subject to service termination, or reconnect, you must call Customer Service at 319-286-5900 and speak to a Customer Service representative. You will need to provide them with the payment confirmation number to indicate proof of payment.

More Information: Pay by Credit Card

Do you keep my credit card information on file?

No. Credit card payments are processed by our third-party vendor, Paymentus.

Paymentus is PCI compliant. Look for "https" in the web address, indicating a secure connection. Always use care when entering personal information on a public computer.

More Information: Pay by Credit Card

Are my transactions secure?
Yes, the Cedar Rapids Municipal Utilities uses a separate website with an encryption certificate. Look for “https:” in the web address indicating a secure connection.

Always use care when entering personal information on a public computer.
More Information: Pay with Credit Card

Can I get a receipt?
Yes. If you are using a home computer you can print a receipt at the end of your transaction.
If you are using the computer kiosk at the Water Administrative Building you will need to write down your information on the paper provided.
More Information: Pay by Credit Card
Do you accept credit card payments over the telephone?
Yes. You may call 1-888-821-2215 to make a credit card, debit card, or e-check payment by phone. A convenience fee of $2.75 per transaction will apply for all phone payments.
Utility Customer Service Representatives are not able to accept credit card payments over the phone. Please call 1-888-821-2215 to make a credit card payment over the phone.
More Information: Pay with Credit Card
Can municipal utility staff take my card or e-check payment?
No. Utility staff is not allowed to enter customer credit, debit card or e-check information.
More Information: Pay with Credit Card

New Service ‎

If City water is extended past my property and I have an existing well, will I be forced to connect?
No. Connection to the water system is voluntary for existing homes on a well. For new developments, if City water is available for domestic service, the Developer is required to extend water service to serve new buildings.
More Information: Utilities Engineering Division
What is a 'Connection Fee' and will on be due when I do decide to connect to City Water?
If the City has extended a water main past a property, and the property owner has not contributed to the cost of water service, a connection fee may be due. Chapter 12 of the Municipal Code provides for a connection fee which must be paid at the time of connection. The connection fee amount may vary from year to year and is set by Council.
More Information: Utilities Engineering Division
Who is responsible for installing and maintaining the water main, the service tap, and the service pipe to my house?
The water main and service tap are owned and maintained by the Water Division of the City of Cedar Rapids. The service line running from the Curb Stop at the street to the home is the responsibility of the property owner and must be installed by a licensed plumber.
More Information: Utilities Engineering Division
Who installs and maintains the water meter?
The Owner’s plumber prepares the indoor piping to receive a water meter. The Owner pays for the meter and reading device at cost from the Water Division who installs it.

The Water Division maintains ownership and is responsible for future maintenance of the meter.
More Information: Utilities Engineering Division

Must I use a licensed plumber to install my new water service?
Yes. A licensed plumber is a requirement of City Ordinance. Your plumber will be familiar with Cedar Rapids plumbing code requirements, METRO Specifications and Water Department policies to help your new installation go quickly and properly.
More Information: Utilities Engineering Division
What is the typical residential monthly water bill in Cedar Rapids?
The average residential customer uses approximately 10 units or 7,480 gallons of water per month. The rate for water may vary each year and is set by City Council. Utility Bills from the City of Cedar Rapids are mailed every two months and may also include sanitary sewer, storm sewer and solid waste charges. The cost for water alone is approximately $17.00 per month.
More Information: Utilities Engineering Division
If I water my lawn extensively, must I pay for sewage treatment and disposal fees on that water?
No. You may decide to install an irrigation meter that will be read and billed separately.
If you do this, you must also install a backflow prevention device on your irrigation line to protect the public water supply.
More Information: Utilities Engineering Division
If I have a well, but connect to City Water for drinking purposes, am I allowed to keep my private well for lawn and garden watering?

Yes, but only under one of the following conditions:

Have an approved and properly tested Reduced Pressure Principal (RPZ) backflow prevention device installed as per code on the domestic water service line immediately downstream of the meter.


Have all well components, piping and well water service lines moved outside of the building so no well water enters the building. 

More Information: Utilities Engineering Division
Can I re-use my old water service line?
Only if the old line is Type K Copper. For typical residential water service lines, the Water Ordinance requires type ‘K’ copper tubing all the way from the water main to the water meter in the house. Plastic, lead or galvanized iron pipe is not acceptable.
More Information: Utilities Engineering Division

Utility Bill

How do I set up automatic payment of my utility bill?
You can sign up to have your utility bill payment automatically withdrawn from your checking or savings account on the due date by calling 286-5900 or clicking the link below.

It can take one billing cycle for the service to take effect.
More Information: Automatic Payment

What is an estimated bill?
Your bill is normally based on an actual reading of your water meter. An estimated bill is generated when your meter or remote reading device is inoperable or inaccessible.
More Information: Utility Billing Information
What happens if I miss a payment?
If you have not paid your account by the due date printed on your bill, a late fee of 4.5% will be applied to the past due balance on your account. Please call customer service if you need to make arrangements at (319) 286-5900.
More Information: Utility Billing Information
Where and how can I pay my bill?
Visit our Payment Options page for a complete list of locations and ways to pay your utilities bill.
Can I pay my bill with a credit card?
Yes, you can now pay your utility bill with a credit or debit card! Fees do apply. Click on the link below to learn more.
More Information: Credit Card Payments

Water Quality

Is my drinking water safe?
Yes. The Cedar Rapids Water Division uses a complex water treatment process to ensure your drinking water remains safe. If there are ever any threats to the system, you will be notified as soon as possible.

More Information: Water Quality Report

How much fluoride is in Cedar Rapids water?
Cedar Rapids reduced the level of fluoride in its water to 0.7 parts per million on March 8th, 2011 based on the recommendation of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
What is the hardness of Cedar Rapids Water?
Cedar Rapids water is considered moderately hard with values typically between 6 - 9 grains per gallon or 100 - 150 mg/L Total Hardness as Calcium Carbonate.
My water smells terrible - what could be wrong?
Many times gases in the drain trap are displaced upward when running water goes down the drain. It is easy to mistake this odor as coming from the running water when it is coming from the drain.

Try pouring a mild bleach solution down the drain and let sit for 5 to 10 minutes, then run cold water full force for 2-3 minutes. This should improve the odor.

My toilet tank and dishwasher are stained dark brown to black. Is my water safe to drink?
The dark staining is likely due to the corrosion control chemical added during treatment. Its purpose is to form a protective coating on the insides of pipes so water does not come in contact with the pipe material, thereby reducing the risk of dissolving lead or copper into the drinking water. It has been tested extensively and does not pose a health risk.
My water throughout the entire house tastes and smells musty or stale - is it ok to drink?
First, try opening 2 or 3 cold water faucets at the same time and run for approximately 5-10 minutes. This flushes out the home plumbing and service line, bringing fresh water from the main. Sometimes, in low use, or dead-end main areas, the water does not get circulated as it should. Where this is the case, a distribution crew can be notified to flush hydrants in the area to help bring in fresh water.
My water looks yellowish or brown and/or has black particles or debris in it - what is causing this? Could there be a broken pipe somewhere?
Most times when water discoloration or particles show up all of a sudden, it is because a hydrant or valve has been opened in the area and this stirs up the natural sediment that settles in the pipes over time. This can occur when the City crews are cleaning the streets, fire hydrants are being tested, or during construction. This generally settles back down and clears on its own within 24 or 48 hours. This discolored water has been extensively tested and is not a health concern.
Is Cedar Rapids' water hard or soft?
Cedar Rapids uses slaked lime to reduce the minerals that define water hardness. We do not use salt or add sodium. The water leaving the treatment plant typically has a total hardness in the range of 150 mg/L as calcium carbonate. This equates to a moderately hard water of 6 to 9 grains per gallon.
More Information: Utilities Engineering Division
Where can I find out about the quality of Cedar Rapids' water?
Copies of the Annual Water Quality Report are available on our website (see below). Copies are also available at the Water Administration Offices located at 1111 Shaver Road NE. Each year copies of the Water Quality Report are mailed to all residents of Cedar Rapids in the Spring edition of the OurCR publication.
More Information: Water Quality Report
© 2024  Cedar Rapids, Iowa, 101 First Street SE

Powered By Revize Login