The ConnectCR Project is the culmination of the largest public-private partnership in Cedar Rapids. What began as two visionary ideas to revitalize Cedar Lake and create a signature bridge on the City’s segment of the American Discovery Trail, is now a reality. Learn more below.
Cedar Lake Improvements
This aspect of ConnectCR will increase and enhance recreational opportunities for all ages and abilities on and around Cedar Lake.
- Accessible features: canoe/kayak launches, fishing piers
- Challenge/obstacle course
- Enhanced fishing amenities
- New east shore trail and improved trail surfaces
- Pedestrian boardwalk over lake
Detailed Improvements & Timeline
- Trail: 2021–2022 // Causeway bridge improvements
- Trail & Shaver Road: 2024 // East shoreline restoration and trail, Shaver Rd. cul-de-sac/parking
- Park & Lake Amenities: 2025 // Accessible canoe/kayak launch, fishing pier, shelter, restroom, challenge & obstacle course
- Landscaping & Reforestation: 2025
- North & Southwest Shore Improvements & Trail: 2025 // To be coordinated with lake restoration.
Download Cedar Lake Improvement Plan
Alliant Energy LightLine™
Located between NewBo and Czech Village, this new bridge provides a unique experience for pedestrians and bicyclists with a design that honors the former railroad bridge and industrial history of the area.
Removal of the former bridge is planned to begin in December 2023. Construction of the new bridge is expected to begin at the end of 2024.
Bridge features include:
- Split deck around the bridge pylon, creating separate spaces for pedestrians and bicyclists
- Lighting on bridge rails and pylon
- Plazas on east and west side with historic exhibits and gathering places
- Connection to the Mt. Trashmore recreational amenities and the Cedar River Trail
ConnectCR is a non-profit organization working to revitalize Cedar Lake and build a pedestrian trail across the Cedar River. This group of local residents visualized and conceived the project and approached the City about forming the public/private partnership that blends private fundraising, project development, and on-going maintenance. ConnectCR raised more than $8 million in private donations and grants, with widespread generous support from the local community and beyond. Learn more about the group at www.connectcr.org.