July 12, 2021
Curbside tree and storm debris collection is completed. Tree replantings are underway. In the ten months since the derecho, the City has removed approximately four million cubic yards of tree debris, a free service to residents following the devastating tree loss and tree damage experienced throughout the entire community.
Bookmark this page, as it will be frequently updated with the latest information.
July 12, 2021 — The City’s curbside tree debris collection program ended in early July 2021. Lingering debris is not allowed to remain permanently at the curb and is now subject to the City's Chapter 22 – Nuisances ordinance. The City of Cedar Rapids Solid Waste & Recycling division will utilize the nuisance abatement process to address reports of lingering derecho tree debris. To report a concern or with questions about this process, contact the division at 319-286-5897 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Underway: Right-of-Way Stumps & Replanting
Information on street tree removals, stumps, and replanting in the City's right-of-way.
Completed: Tree Debris Removal
Neighborhood collection is complete. Learn about property owners' responsibilities and find resources for those in need to connect with additional help.
Completed: Non-organic Debris Removal
Cubside collection is complete. Find additional resources for disposal of nonorganic debris.
Information on this Page
Frequently Asked QuestionsDepartment, Division Phone Numbers
- Utilities, Solid Waste & Recycling | Tree debris nuisance abatement: 319-286-5897
- Parks & Recreation | Stump grinding, right-of-way replanting: 319-286-5747
- Building Services | Building permits: 319-286-5831
- Public Works, Right-of-Way | Right-of-way permits: 319-286-5777
There are a variety of volunteer opportunities for residents who wish to assist with derecho-related cleanup efforts, including organized neighborhood clean-ups, golf course and parks cleanup. Visit the City’s Municipal Volunteer Program (MVP) page for details.
Planting / Mulch / Compost
- FREE compost and mulch available at the Linn County Solid Waste Agency while supplies last: solidwasteagency.org | 319-398-5163
- Right-of-Way Planting
- ReLeaf Cedar Rapids
- Street Tree Finder:
Residents can look up their street tree online to determine if it’s a City-owned tree, using Tree Finder. Type your address into the search box to find your property and to view the City-owned trees and planting spaces.
- Community Resources Remain Available for Derecho Assistance
- PATCH Program - Housing Rehabilitation
A donation-based program that assists homeowners with repairs or a gap loan for repairs: http://www.ecicog.org/patch.html
- Tree Removal Assistance
For tree removal needs on private property, the City is collaborating with United Way of East Central Iowa and Waypoint to match resident needs to volunteer groups with the appropriate skills. Please contact Waypoint at 319-366-7999 for additional information.
- Other derecho recovery needs | Contact HACAP (319-739-0056)
- Crisis Hotline | Contact Foundation 2 to speak to a trained counselor (319-362-2174)
- Business Resources | View Online | Courtesy Cedar Rapids Metro Economic Alliance
- FEMA Individual Assistance | View Details
- Small Business Administration (SBA) Loans for Business & Residential | Flyer: english | español
- Linn County | Storm Response
- Linn County Solid Waste Agency | Debris Disposal
- Business Storm Loss | Complete Questionnaire
- Community Resource | Together We Achieve | 319-432-9754 | 1150 27th Ave SW
- Parks and Recreation:
- Building Permits | (319) 286-5929 | home repair resource page
- Right-of-Way Permits (driveway, sidewalk work, etc.) | ROW permits
Private Utility Resources
- IMON | 319-298-6484 | email@example.com
- Iowa Communication Network | 800-572-3940 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- ITC Midwest | 319-297-6843 | email@example.com
- CenturyLink | 1-800-244-1111
- Mediacom | 855-MEDIACOM
- Linn County Rec | 888-271-6250 | https://www.linncountyrec.com/service-and-reliability/outage-management/
- MidAmerican | 1-888-427-5632
- Alliant Energy Street Lights | https://www.alliantenergy.com/CustomerService/AlliantEnergyService/OutageCenter/RequestaStreetlightRepair
- 6/30/21 - View Press Release
- 6/17/21 - View Press Release
- 6/10/21 - View Press Release
- 5/29/21 - View Press Release
- 5/4/21 - View Press Release
- 4/27/21 - View Press Release
- 4/23/21 - View Press Release
- 4/20/21 - View Press Release
- 4/14/21 - View Press Release
- 3/19/21 - View Press Release
- 1/12/2021 - View Press Release
- 12/16/2020 - View Press Release
- 11/24/2020 - View Press Release
- 11/12/2020 - View Press Release
- 10/30/2020 - View Press Release
- 10/22/2020 - View Press Release
- 10/7/2020 - View Press Release
- 8/24/20 - Watch News Conference // View Press Release
- 8/21/20 - Watch News Conference // View Press Release
- 8/20/20 - Watch News Conference // View Press Release
- 8/19/20 - Watch News Conference // View Press Release
- 8/18/20 - Watch News Conference // View Press Release
- 8/17/20 - News Conference: Part 1 | Part 2 // View Press Release
- 8/14/20 - Watch News Conference
- 8/13/20 - Watch News Conference
- 8/12/20 - View Press Release
- 8/11/20 - View Press Release
- 8/10/20 - View Press Release #1, Release #2
Find archive information related to initial disaster recovery efforts.