Adjacent property owners are responsible for the maintenance and repair of their sidewalk (Iowa Code 2019, Section 364.12). This includes the removal of tripping hazards such as cracking, buckling, or uneven sidewalk, and snow clearing in the winter. Property owners should undertake repairs if they see their sidewalk has safety issues.
Below is a general outline to assist property owners in making repairs:
- Secure the necessary permits
- Hire a contractor bonded with the City
- Meet the repair deadline (if you were notified of repairs following an inspection)
- Apply for partial reimbursement
Sidewalks are located in public right-of-way, which requires a permit before construction may begin. Permit application fees apply. You will need to secure one of the following:
- Application for Public Right-of-Way Permit
- Application for Public Right-of-Way Permit - Direct Access Driveway Construction (to be used when constructing sidewalk in the driveway)
Hiring a Contractor
The list below consists of contractors who have requested to be included on this list specifically for sidewalk work.
Please note it is the responsibility of the property owner to ensure that the contractor is properly insured and bonded and has obtained the necessary permits to perform work within the City Right-of-Way.
Property owners may hire contractors not on this list as long as that contractor obtains the necessary permits to work within City ROW. Please contact the Public Works Department at 319-286-5802 for information on obtaining a bond.
The City offers partial reimbursement to property owners who undertake sidewalk repairs themselves, or who use an owner-hired contractor bonded with the City.
To qualify for reimbursement:
- Make sure the City has a current inspection report on file for your property (if you received a letter notifying you of sidewalk repairs, we have the inspection report)
- Complete the repairs by the deadline provided in the City’s official notice
- Print and complete the Reimbursement Application
- Return Reimbursement Registration Form with copies of invoices or receipts.
The City’s standard reimbursement is determined each year. The current reimbursement rate is 35% of the standardized unit price per square foot of sidewalk, which is currently determined as $12 per square foot (Max $1,000).
Example: Property owner provides a receipt and reimbursement request form showing that they replaced 80 square feet of sidewalk. The standard reimbursement would be calculated as:
80 square feet x $12 per square foot x 35% = $336
Snow and Ice Removal
For more information on sidewalk snow removal please visit the Snow and Ice Control Page.
How can residents report problems?
To report a property that is in violation 24 hours after accumulating snow or ice, use My CR. You may also contact the Solid Waste and Recycling Division at 319-286-5897 or Solid-Waste-Recycling@cedar-rapids.org. Be sure to note the address of the property in violation.
- Sidewalk Repair and Reimbursement Policy
- Application for Sidewalk Reimbursement
- Financial Assistance for Sidewalk Repair Policy and Application (updated April 2023)
- FAQ Sidewalk Repair and Reimbursement
- Sidewalk Information for Builders
- Sidewalk Inspection Criteria
- Sidewalk Bonded Contractors
- Sidewalk Inspection Cycle Map