The application process for the position of Firefighter with the Cedar Rapids Fire Department is now closed.
The Cedar Rapids Fire Department is a dynamic and diverse organization that provides an outstanding opportunity for those interested in a public service career.
As a part of the City of Cedar Rapids, the Cedar Rapids Fire Department is dedicated to quality customer service as reflected in our Mission Statement: "The mission of the Cedar Rapids Fire Department is to mitigate threats to the health and property of our community through emergency response, quality education and prevention programs."
Firefighter - The Career
Firefighters are involved in many functions including but not limited to:
Emergency Medical: Respond to a variety of medical situations and are trained at the Emergency Medical Technician-Basic professional rescuer level. The Fire Department also delivers paramedic-level care. Perform defibrillation and CPR consistent with American Heart Association standards.
Prevention and Education: Activities that promote effective principles and practices of fire prevention within the city.
Training: Programs to meet specific needs of individual members, as well as meet departmental goals and satisfy state requirements.
Firefighting: Provides direct services, individually and as a member of a team, in the suppression and control of hazardous fires, and other kinds of emergency assistance to the public as circumstances may require, including medical, rescue and natural disasters.
Maintenance: Regular maintenance of stations, apparatus, equipment and grounds.
Specialization: Hazardous Materials, River Rescue, Ice Rescue, Technical Rescue, Extrication, Incident Command, Weapons of Mass Destruction
Special Notice regarding Firefighter I Certification Requirement: The Cedar Rapids Fire Department no longer requires the Firefighter I certification prior to employment.
Special Notice regarding Emergency Medical Technician Certification Requirement: You must be certified and possess a State of Iowa or National Registry EMT card, as well as have a current CPR certification card prior to being hired.
Candidate Physical AbilityTest (CPAT): CPAT is a nationalized candidate physical ability test for baseline firefighter entrance exam. This video shows a recommended workout to prepare for the CPAT. Additionally, the CPAT - Candidate Workout Program shows workouts and stretches to assist you with physically preparing yourself for the test. The CRFD CPAT Orientation Guide has a detailed description of the eight separate events the make up the CPAT.
VETERAN'S PREFERENCE: If you wish to receive veteran's preference and you were in a reserve unit, it is your responsibility to provide official documentation of any active service in a regular military unit stating dates of active service, etc. For information on how to obtain this documentation, contact your local recruiting office.
The City of Cedar Rapids is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities and women are encouraged to apply.
- Applicant must be able to obtain a valid Iowa Driver's License and be able to obtain a Class D or Chauffeur's driver's license.
- Must be able to speak, read, and write the English language.
- Must not be alcohol or drug addicted. Prior to employment, the City of Cedar Rapids will require drug testing as part of a pre-employment physical for all employees.
- Must be of good moral character. This implies that the conduct or character of any applicant must be such that his/her job performance as a firefighter would not be impeded in any manner.
- Must have no felony convictions.
- Must conform to the current residency requirement. You must reside within 50 miles of Central Fire Station (713 1st Avenue SE) within six months of employment.
PHYSICAL QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS WHILE WEARING PROTECTIVE CLOTHING & BREATHING APPARATUS INCLUDE:
- Ability to rescue individuals from life-threatening situations, including extrications, water rescue, cave-ins, and high buildings or other structures.
- Ability to lay hose lines, operate nozzles, pumps, hydrants, fire extinguishers, use firefighting equipment to control or extinguish fire, and climb ladders.
- Ability to properly utilize the following equipment and tools: wide variety of fire apparatus, equipment and tools associated with the fire control operation and non-fire emergencies, personal protective equipment, multi-gas monitors, fall protection equipment, and self-contained breathing apparatus.
- Candidates who successfully complete the written examination will move forward in the hiring process and will participate in the Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT).
If you have any questions, please contact the Cedar Rapids Fire Department via email at CRFire@cedar-rapids.org or at 319-286-5200. Office Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday, except holidays.