Contractor FAQs for Working in the Right-of-Way
The City of Cedar Rapids is moving to an online Right-of-Way (ROW) permit system beginning June 17, 2021. Customers are required to create a free account and register online with the City in order to submit ROW permits. The goal is to increase transparency between the City and its customers, as well as increase efficiency in the permit process. Companies as well as individuals will be able to register for this more streamlined process.
All ROW permits will need to be submitted using the new online system by July 19, 2021.
Below is additional information and resources to help get you started.
Q: I am a contractor, do I have to register with the City of Cedar Rapids?
A: Yes, contractors need to register and have their current bond to perform work in the City of Cedar Rapids ROW.
Q: I submit ROW applications on behalf of my company, do I need to register?
A: Yes, individuals working on behalf of a company should register and sign up in the new system. The system will create a profile for you and link it to your company information so permits can be submitted more efficiently in the future.
Q: I am a contractor, do I need a bond to perform work in the right-of-way?
Yes, contractors need to have an approved bond to submit a request and perform work in the right of way.
- Example bond
- Bonds are submitted online through MYCR.
- Original bonds are accepted by mail (City Services Center ATTN: Development Services, 500 15th Avenue SW,
Cedar Rapids, IA 52404)
- Original bonds are accepted at the customer service counter on the second floor of City Services Center, 500 15th Avenue SW,
Cedar Rapids, IA 52404 during regular business hours.
Q: I am a contractor, how do I get to the city GIS infrastructure viewer?
- LINK: https://crgis.cedar-rapids.org/IV/index.html
- You may request login credentials through the Information Technology department. Email email@example.com for more information
Q: What permits do I need to submit online using the new system?
Only ROW permits will be submitted through this new system. All other permit submissions will go through their normal process.
REGISTERING ON MYCR
- Step 1: Visit www.cedar-rapids.org/mycr and click “Sign-Up for An Account” and follow the prompts
- Step 2: Submit a request to firstname.lastname@example.org to activate your registration.
The following information will be required:
- MyCR Login Name (established when you sign-up), Email Address, Phone number
- Company Name, Company Address, Phone Number, and Email Address
- Step 3: If you do not have a current bond with the City of Cedar Rapids you will need to submit a bond with your request. If you already have a bond on file, you do not need to do this step.
To finish your registration, the City of Cedar Rapids will link your profile to your company and bond information for easier permit submissions in the future.
You will receive an email confirmation when your registration has been successfully completed. After you receive your confirmation of registration, you may sign in to MyCR anytime in the future to access the online application.
SUBMITTING A ROW PERMIT AFTER REGISTRATION IS COMPLETE
- Step 1: Access the MyCR system at www.cedar-rapids.org/mycr and click “Submit a Request”
- Step 2: Click on the Right-of-Way permit icon (see icon at right)
- Step 3: Follow the system prompts
PAYING FOR YOUR ROW PERMIT
Payment is required before your ROW permit will be processed by the City of Cedar Rapids. You are able to pay for your ROW permit by credit/debit card as part of the online ROW permit system.
Cash/check payments are also accepted by mail. To ensure payment is completed, please include your ROW permit number as reference with payment.
All applications submitted require payment to be processed.