The Section 8 waiting list is not accepting applications at this time. The Section 8 waiting list will remain closed for an undetermined time.
A person with a disability may require special accommodations in order to have equal access to the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher program. Reasonable accommodation requests can be made by contacting the City of Cedar Rapids Housing Services office at 101 First Street SE, Cedar Rapids IA 52401 or by phone at 319-286-5872.
Housing Services will periodically update the waiting list. Families will be contacted by first class mail to determine if the family continues to be interested in the program. If the notice is returned by the post office with no forwarding address, the applicant will be removed from the waiting list without further notice. All changes to the Wait List Application will only be accepted in writing and preferably on a Wait List Change form to ensure all required information included.
The PHA is responsible for ensuring that every individual and family admitted to the HCV program meets all program eligibility requirements. This includes any individual approved to join the family after the family has been admitted to the program. The family must provide any information needed by the PHA to confirm eligibility and determine the level of the family’s assistance.
To be eligible for the HCV program the applicant family must:
- Qualify as a family as defined by HUD and the PHA.
- Have income at or below HUD-specified Income Limits.
- Qualify on the basis of citizenship or the eligible immigrant status of family members.
- Provide social security number information for family members as required.
- Consent to the PHA’s collection and use of family information as provided for in PHA-provided consent forms.
- The PHA must determine that the current or past behavior of household members does not include activities that are prohibited by HUD or the PHA.
- Once application is approved then the applicant will be contacted by Housing Services to attend a briefing and will be provided a briefing packet containing written information about the program and receive their Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher.
Helpful Links & Forms
101 First Street SE
Cedar Rapids, IA 52401
8:00 AM to 5:00 PM M-F
Fax: (319) 286-5870