Cedar Rapids Economic Development
Cedar Rapids, Iowa has a longstanding reputation as a strong, supportive business environment, with community leaders whose flexible and responsive attitudes have helped local companies succeed. Our central location, workforce productivity, extensive transportation network, and broad mix of industry are just some of the ways that we're positioned as the perfect place to do business. Visit our Economic Development website to learn more.
Economic Development Policy
The City of Cedar Rapids is committed to using community resources and incentives as a catalyst to promote business growth and investment by the private sector. The following five (5) objectives, adopted by the City Council in the Economic Development Investment Policy, provide a framework for consideration to ensure both sound investment and quality results.
- Facilitates significant investment that demonstrates growth of the tax base and strong commitment to the community.
- Facilitates creation or retention of high-quality jobs.
- Encourages diversification in the regional economic cluster and employment base.
- Provides a long-term community benefit in return for the City’s investment.
- Demonstrates quality development that exceeds City development standards and is consistent with the City’s Smart Growth Development principles.
Refining our Economic Development Strategy
The City of Cedar Rapids recently partnered with AngelouEconomics, one of the nation’s leading economic development consulting firms, to develop a comprehensive strategy to leverage Cedar Rapids' assets for future economic prosperity. The executive summary and recommended strategies of the study are available below.
- View Cedar Rapids Rollout Presentation
- View Cedar Rapids Strategic Recommendation Final Report
- View Cedar Rapids Market Assessment
- View Cedar Rapids Business Case Analysis & Target Industries Report
- View Cedar Rapids Business Identification and Survey
The online reports provide greater detail on the summary of recommendations, key performance indicators, a SWOT analysis, and retail leakage.
City programs to facilitate growth
Contacts & Resources
Useful information & data
How does the city rank nationally?
State assistance programs
Economic Development Manager
101 First Street SE
Cedar Rapids, IA 52401
Phone: (319) 286-5188
Customer Satisfaction Survey
CLICK HERE to rate your experience with the Development Services Department.