HomeLocal GovernmentDepartments A - FBuilding Services > Nuisance Abatement (Chapter 22) 

Nuisance Abatement (Chapter 22)

Contact Information:

City Services Center
500 15th Ave SW
Cedar Rapids, IA  52404

Phone:  319-286-5838
Fax:  319-286-5830

Monday to Friday
7:30 am to 4:00 pm

Payments not accepted after 4:00 p.m.

Chapter 22 of the Municipal Code sets forth the regulations governing the abatement of nuisances in our community. The Building Services Department is responsible for investigating nuisance complaints and works with property owners and other responsible parties to abate the nuisance in a timely manner.

Please note that tall weeds and grass complaints as well as sidewalks not shoveled are investigated by Solid Waste & Recycling.  Solid Waste & Recycling also manages nuisances on the public right-of-way, including trash and debris.

Nuisance activity or the declaration as a nuisance property is managed by SAFE-CR.

In summary, the Municipal Code for Nuisance is:

Anything which is injurious to health, including, but not limited to, the illegal sale of controlled substances, or is indecent or offensive to the senses, or an obstruction to the free use of property, so as to interfere with the comfortable enjoyment of life or property, or unlawfully obstructs the free passage or use, in the customary manner, of any navigable lake, or river, bay, stream, canal, or basin, or any public park, square, street, or highway, is a nuisance.

A nuisance shall also mean:

  • Any public nuisance known under common law or equity; or
  • Any attractive nuisance which may prove dangerous or detrimental to any person; or
  • Any condition that is dangerous to human life, unsafe, or detrimental to the public health or safety, including the accumulation of trash or junk and the existence of dangerous buildings as defined under the International Property Maintenance Code.
  • If you believe there is a nuisance in your neighborhood that warrants a response from the City of Cedar Rapids, please contact our office.

Complaints may be filed through the My CR application available at www.cedar-rapids.org/mycr.

When making a report, please provide the following information:

  • The specific address or location where the nuisance is located
  • Description of the nuisance
  • Your name, address and phone number. Anonymous complaints will be investigated, but please provide your name and contact information if you would like to be advised of the findings of the investigation. 

Nuisance Abatement Hearings are held twice each month on Tuesdays alternating with City Council meetings, when cases are pending. Cases are heard by an appointed, volunteer hearing examiner.

© 2024  Cedar Rapids, Iowa, 101 First Street SE

Powered By Revize Login