The Rental Housing Inspections Division is part of the Building Services Department and is located in the City Services Center. The Housing Inspections Division is responsible for inspections of all residential rental properties within the City of Cedar Rapids as well as investigating rental property complaints.
The Housing Inspections Division uses the International Property Maintenance Code with local amendments as the adopted Housing Code for the City of Cedar Rapids.
The intent of the Housing Code is to ensure public health, safety and welfare insofar as they are affected by the continued occupancy and maintenance of structures, heating equipment, electrical equipment, sanitation, life safety, and other hazards associated with the premises. Minimum levels of health and safety shall be maintained by the owner, owner's authorized agent or operator as required by the Code.
Landlord Business Permit
Chapter 29 of the City of Cedar Rapids Municipal Code requires that those who lease, rent, or otherwise allow a dwelling unit or a residential rental unit to be occupied to hold a valid Landlord Business Permit. There are training requirements and fees associated with a Landlord Business Permit.
Rental Unit Registration
Chapter 29 of the City of Cedar Rapids Municipal Code requires owners of rental property to register their property with the Housing Inspection Division within 30 days of transfer of title or possession of such property or at such a time that a property becomes a rental property as defined by the Housing Code. All properties that are not occupied by the owner are considered rental property even if rent is not collected from the occupant.
Please review the Housing Inspection Service Fee Schedule for the Landlord Business Permit fee requirements and the Rental Unit Registration fees.
If you have any questions call us at 319-286-5197 or stop by our office.
NEW RENTAL PROPERTY OWNERS
To conduct a rental business in Cedar Rapids, you need to complete the following three forms:
2. Online Rental Business Training Class Registration Form (Complete if you have never completed the required rental training class or if you have deleted your Trained Representative from your Landlord Business Permit.) **The assigned training representative will receive the online link to enroll in the online class within 7 days of submitting forms and payment.)
3. Rental Registration Form (Single-Family, Duplex, and Multi-Family (Check payable to City Treasurer. One check may include all fees.)
After the above forms are completed and submitted with payment, a rental inspection letter will be sent to the owner or manager with a future inspection date listed on the letter.
- The required Rental Business Training is conducted online.
- Rental property inspections are conducted every 3 years.
- To prepare for the inspection, please review the Rental Inspection Checklist.
If you sell your property, no longer use it as a rental, or make any changes to the contact information, address or mailing information, you must complete one or both of the following forms within 30 days of the change(s) in accordance with Cedar Rapids Municipal Code Chapter 29.54 and 29.55.
Change of Landlord Information Form (Use when updating personal information, or adding/deleting a property manager on an existing Landlord Business Permit.)
Property Deletion Form (Use when you have sold your property or taken personal residency at the address.)