Home Repair Resources
*** The Building Services Department continues to experience a high volume of permit and inspection requests as our community continues to make repairs following the devastating derecho. Our staff is working hard to process permits as quickly as possible, but delays are anticipated. Please expect and plan for delays for most permit requests. The anticipated timeframe for the plan review process has also been extended. We apologize for the inconvenience, and thank you for your understanding and patience.***
Building Services is here to assist you in the process of restoring your home.
Printable PDF: Permit Resources
Need Assistance? Patch Program: http://www.ecicog.org/patch.html
The Patch Program is a donation-based program that assists homeowners with repairs or a gap loan for repairs. Supported by the City of Cedar Rapids, Linn County, and local nonprofits.
All contractors are required to be licensed and registered through the State of Iowa. If they are licensed in another state, they still need to be licensed in Iowa to do work in Iowa. Contractors who are licensed through the State of Iowa are able to serve in any community in Iowa. The City is doing everything possible to expedite these permits so residents and their contractor can begin repairs immediately.
To verify your contractor is licensed in the State of Iowa, please call the Building Services Department at 319-286-5929, Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. This is a verification service, not a referral service.
Finding a Reputable Contractor
- Contractors should be licensed in the State of Iowa
- If they are licensed in another state, they still need to be licensed in Iowa to do work locally
- Contractors should carry insurance
- If possible, get more than one quote for repairs
- Do not pay upfront for repairs
- Contact your insurance company for information regarding damage claims
- Check Iowa Courts Online to see if a contractor has been sued by unsatisfied customers
- Download Brochure: Avoiding Disaster Fraud
- To report a dishonest contractor, please contact the Iowa Attorney General’s Office at 1-888-777-4590 or 1-515-281-5926, or www.iowaattorneygeneral.gov.
Reputable Sources to Find Contractors
- Iowa Workforce Division of Labor (database of registered contractors in Iowa)
- Iowa State Public Health (Plumbing & Heating)
- State Fire Marshal Division Electrical Bureau
- American Institute of Architects
Home Repair Permits
Building Services staff is experiencing a high volume of permit requests. We are processing permits as quickly as possible; delays are anticipated. We thank you for your patience.
- Permits are REQUIRED for significant roof damage, structural repairs, or substantial interior repairs. Examples include: wall damage or truss damage, anything structural that has been pushed out of alignment, attic rafters that are damaged, significant siding or large portions of roof repairs, anything that touches electrical, mechanical, or plumbing work.
- Permits are NOT required for minor roofing repairs (replacing small portions of shingles), small sections of siding, small roof holes that can be patched with plywood, or other minor maintenance items.
- Your contractor is responsible for obtaining the appropriate permits from the Building Services Department
A building permit is required for demolition of any structure. For safety, proper utility disconnections must be verified prior to demolition, which is part of the permit process. For any questions related to the permit process, please contact Building Services at 319-286-5831.
Call Building Services at 319-286-5831 for any questions about the permit process
Request an Inspection
You can request an inspection from a certified building inspector after your contractor has completed work:
- Phone: 319-286-5831
- Email: InspectionRequests@cedar-rapids.org