Forms and Handouts Library
Forms and Handouts Library
** Please download the application onto your computer prior to completing the form **
PERMIT APPLICATIONS* In order to open and fill out the PDF permit applications, you will need the free version of Adobe Reader installed on your computer. To install Adobe Reader, please go to this link: https://get.adobe.com/reader/
Submitting the Permit
- Please make sure all permit applications are filled out completely.
- Incomplete application forms will take longer to process and will delay how soon an inspection can be scheduled.
- Step 1: Download the permit application you need and save it to your computer
- Step 2: Complete the permit application, either electronically or by printing it off. The form has fields that can be filled out on your computer.
- Step 3: Submit the permit application by email or mail.
*Electronic permit and plan submittal is preferred. If you are submitting hard copies by mail or drop box, they must not be larger than 11x17. Plans larger than 11x17 will not be accepted.
- EMAIL: Email your application to the address listed on the permit (the majority of permit applications go to either email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org)
- MAIL: Mail your completed application to Building Services, 500 15th Avenue SW, Cedar Rapids, IA 52404
- FTP SITE: For large plan submittals, please submit through our FTP site (directions can be found Here)
** Please allow 24-48 hours for permits to be processed **
- Make check payable to CITY TREASURER.
- Payment must be paid by check, cashier’s check, or money order.
- Please note there is an online payment option. To enroll in this option, please contact the permit technicians at 319-286-5939 or by e-mail at email@example.com.
Permit inspections can be scheduled by calling 319-286-5831 between 7:30 am and 4:30 pm.
Looking for permit information on building or repairing decks, detached garages, permanent backyard swimming pools/hot tubs, or other property upgrades? Scroll through our document library below and search under "Handouts - General."
The Document Center provides easy access to public documents. Click on one of the categories below to see related documents or use the search function.
Search for documents:
Categories always sorted by seq (sub-categories sorted within each category)
Documents sorted by HEADER in Ascending Order within category
Please click on one of the categories below to see uploaded documents.
Must be filled out and submitted with all commercial permit applications
Building Commercial Code Summary
Building General Commercial Application
For residential remodels, additions, and repairs. DO NOT USE FOR FENCES. For all residential fences, please use the Fence Permit Application below. DO NOT USE FOR SHEDS 200 SQUARE FEET OR LESS. For sheds 200 square or less, use the Zoning Clearance Application below.
Building General Residential Application
Demolition Permit Application
Excavation Permit Link (Public Works)
For residential or commercial fences
Fence Permit Application
Must be signed to begin foundation work prior to plan approval
Foundation Permit Disclaimer and Submittal Requirements
Moving Permit Application
Permit Renewal Application
Roofing Permit Application
Sewer Permit Application
Sewer Trenchless Permit Application
Solar Permit Application
For commercial and residential subcontractor work
Trade Permit Application (Mechanical, Electrical, Plumbing)
For residential or commercial sheds 200 square feet of less, seasonal pools, or concrete on private property.
Zoning Clearance Permit Application
Change of Landlord Information Form
International Property Maintenance Code
Landlord Business Permit Form
Property Deletion Form
Rental Inspection Checklist
Rental Registration Form
2012 IECC Residential Flow Chart
2012 Iowa Energy Code
2012 Iowa Residential Energy Code Summary
2013 Energy Conservation Code Sign Off
Accessibility Fact Sheet
Bathroom Handicap Requirements
Record document at Linn County Recorder's Office for basement rooms with no egress window
Bedroom Egress Affidavit
Code Requirement Checklist (Residential)
Required information that needs to be provided for deck applications
Egress Window Handout
Factory Built Structure Compliance Certificate Form-Fillable.pdf
Final Building Inspection Checklist (Residential)
Flash Flood Flyer
Requirements for Architect and Engineered Plans
Swimming Pools-Spas-Hot Tubs
Wall Floor and Roof Framing
Cedar Rapids Historic Landmarks
Historic Preservation Commission
Historic Preservation Program
Erosion Site Plan Pamphlet
Fast Tract Application
Single Family Application
Single Family Dwelling Packet
Tree Development Program Brochure
Tree Development Program FAQs
© 2024 Cedar Rapids, Iowa, 101 First Street SE