Cedar Rapids Stormwater Commission is an advisory committee established by the Cedar Rapids City Council in December 2008 (Ordinance No. 041-08) to review current stormwater policies and recommend improvements to the policies as needed.
General Duties of the Commission
The Stormwater Commission has general oversight of drainage issues. Duties include but are not limited to:
- Develops and recommends stormwater policies, such as water quality and watershed-based approaches.
- Reviews public input regarding stormwater drainage or erosion and sediment control. Recommends corrective actions.
- Advises the City Council regarding stormwater Capital Improvements projects.
- Provides property owners with additional resources to resolve private drainage problems.
General Policy Discussion
The Commission may be tasked to review current stormwater policies and recommend improvements to the policies as needed. For example:
- Public vs. private maintenance of drainage ways and erosion.
- Stormwater management is related to infill development.
- Sustainable best management practices for land development.
- Development of a watershed-based approach to stormwater management and water quality.
The Commission consists of five (5) members who are Cedar Rapids residents. The five resident members shall be appointed by the Mayor, with the advice and consent of the City Council, and serve three-year terms.
Mike Butterfield, Commission Chair, term expires 6/30/24
Frank Bellon, Commission Member, term expires 6/30/26
Hether Stauffacher, Commission Member, term expires 6/30/26
Natalie Ross, Commission Member, term expires 6/30/24
The Stormwater Commission meets quarterly or as needed at City Services Center, 500 15th Avenue SW, Greene Square Conference Room, 2nd floor.
All meetings are open to the public and may be canceled if there are no agenda items to act upon. Meeting agendas and past meeting minutes will be appropriately posted and available for public review. Meetings will be conducted according to generally accepted rules of order. Agenda items requiring resolution will be voted on, with decisions based on a simple majority vote.
Meeting Agendas & Minutes:
|Meeting Date||Meeting Documents
|November 13, 2023||Agenda||Minutes|
|September 11, 2023||Agenda||Minutes|
|August 14, 2023||Agenda||Minutes|
|July 17, 2023||canceled|
|March 27, 2023||Agenda||Minutes|
|August 15, 2022||Agenda||Minutes|
|May 16, 2022||Agenda||Minutes|
|April 4, 2022||Agenda||Minutes|
|November 1, 2021||Agenda||Minutes|
|September 6, 2021||no meeting|
|July 12, 2021 (2nd Monday due to Holiday)||Agenda||Minutes|
|May 3, 2021||Agenda||Minutes|
|March 1, 2021||Agenda||Minutes|
|January 4, 2021||no meeting|
|November 2, 2020||Agenda||Minutes|
|September 14, 2020 (2nd Monday due to holiday)||Agenda||Minutes|
|July 13, 2020||Agenda||Minutes|
|May 4, 2020||no meeting|
|March 2, 2020||Agenda||Minutes|
|January 6, 2020||Agenda||Minutes|
Prior months' meeting documents are archived and available through an open record(s) request under Related Links.
Related Links Records Request