In Cedar Rapids, Welcome is Our Language.
In Cedar Rapids, welcome doesn’t just mean “we’re open.” Welcome is an invitation to be part of the community we've been building for nearly 175 years.
Welcome means people coming together, building a better city, while remaining true to our roots. Welcome means you are a part of this community.
Cedar Rapids is a resilient, inclusive community. The American Dream lives here for residents, businesses and visitors.
Small town vibes, big city flavor.
As the second largest city in Iowa, Cedar Rapids is a hub for arts, culture, food and recreation.
- Our community's rich, storied history is seen and felt in vibrant destinations throughout the city.
- The local restaurant scene in Cedar Rapids is booming! Cuisine — from cultures around the world to traditional American fare — delight foodies of all types.
- There are 97 parks and trails for people to roll, walk, run and explore.
- Outdoor festivals and recreation are a major source of entertainment for residents and tourists.
- New Bohemia, the Czech Village, Kingston Village, and downtown are all “hot spots” for connected Cedar Rapidians and tourists.
- Distinct neighborhood areas foster community and connection.
- The Cedar Rapids Museum of Art is home to the world’s largest selection of works by artist Grant Wood.
- The National Czech & Slovak Museum & Library, African American Museum of Iowa, The History Center and more provide connections to stories of our past and present.
A community of innovators, creators and entrepreneurs.
From Czech immigrants a century ago — to tech entrepreneurs today — Cedar Rapids has a history of finding new ways to innovate and prosper.
- We are a hard-working, industrious city with opportunities for people looking to build a better life for themselves and their families.
- From as early as the 1850’s, Cedar Rapids was built on innovation and entrepreneurship. These values are embraced throughout the community today.
- We are home to America’s favorite breakfast cereal, Cap'n Crunch, as well as Quaker Oats, Collins Aerospace and many other large tech, agricultural and engineering companies. Cedar Rapids is:
- One of the leading bio-processing and food ingredient centers in North America,
- One of the leading manufacturing regions in the United States, and
- The largest corn-processing city in the world.
- The pace of life in Cedar Rapids is slower compared to other large cities, allowing residents to enjoy the "fifth season."
- The cost of living in Cedar Rapids is lower compared to larger cities, putting the American Dream within reach.
- Living in Cedar Rapids means residents have access to great schools and consistently ranks high in the nation as a great place to raise a family.
A place where you belong.
As an inclusive community, Cedar Rapids residents come together to share ideas, get involved and impact the momentum and growth of their beloved city.
- Cedar Rapids has a history of inclusion, welcoming immigrants for more than 150 years.
- There is a deep-rooted pride and cultural diversity seen and felt throughout the city.
- Cedar Rapids provides opportunities for residents to get plugged into the community.
- Neighbors come together in times of need, despite differences.
- Cedar Rapids is a city that celebrates and welcomes individual and community growth.
The May 2022 issue of the City's Our CR magazine will be a special edition tied to the themes of the Welcome is Our Language campaign. It highlights how the City is partnering with several community partners to shine a spotlight on efforts to grow as an accessible, welcoming community where all can live, work and thrive.
In 2018, the City and other community partners began participating in and promoting Welcoming Week in Cedar Rapids. As discussions and work evolved around Welcoming Week, the group identified a need in the community to encourage and highlight Cedar Rapids as an inclusive and welcoming community.
The goal was to create a vibrant, authentic campaign for locals, industry, and tourists to rally around and show their love and spirit for Cedar Rapids. The effort led to a message universal for all Cedar Rapids: Welcome is Our Language.
The Welcome is Our Language message elicits local pride in our community, and positions the City of Cedar Rapids as a welcoming and inclusive community to visitors and prospective residents, employees and businesses. The campaign showcases the many diverse people and places of Cedar Rapids that make our community wonderful and welcoming. It celebrates the heritage, innovation and progression of the city. We welcome new ideas, growth, diversity and inclusion. Welcome is our language.
This campaign is community-focused — and not exclusive to one organization or entity! Videos and materials can be shared and used by Cedar Rapids organizations to show their pride and connection to the community, by local businesses to help with recruiting prospective employees, and the Tourism Office to market Cedar Rapids to visitors and convention organizers. Download PDF.
If you're interested in utilizing the Welcome is Our Language message with your efforts, please contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org