HomeCRN > WashingtonHS

Cedar Rapids Historic Markers

The Cedar Rapids Historic Markers project is a collaborative community history project that seeks to highlight notable historic sites throughout the city. 
1932 photo of the building

Cedar Rapids’ first permanent school once stood along the 4th Avenue end of Greene Square. From 1855-1868, it educated students through eighth grade. High school-level programs—considered advanced education until the twentieth century—were added in 1869. A large stone building, now exclusively a high school, replaced the older brick schoolhouse in 1891 and was renamed Washington in 1915. Revered educator Abbie Abbott was Washington’s principal from 1886-1921. The school closed in 1935, standing vacant until demolition in 1946. It was replaced with a parking lot and an American Legion building (demolished 2012). Washington High School reopened at 2205 Forest Drive SE in 1957. A new Cedar Rapids Public Library (built 2012-2013) continues the area’s educational tradition.

Download this plaque (PDF format)
© 2022  Cedar Rapids, Iowa, 101 First Street SE

Powered By Revize Login