Aerial view of Veterans Memorial Stadium, The History Center clipping files.
Veterans Memorial Stadium, home to the Cedar Rapids Kernels baseball team, was completed in 2002. It replaced the original Veterans Memorial Stadium which opened in 1949, just west of the current ballpark. The 1949 stadium was named to honor local residents who had served in the military in the period following World War II. Prior to 1949, Cedar Rapids baseball teams played at Belden Hill Park, located next to Roosevelt School at E Avenue and 15th Street NW. Bob Brooks, local media sportscasting legend, has reported from Hill Park, as well as both the 1949 and 2002 Veterans Memorial Stadiums.
Mark W. Stoffer Hunter, Research Historian, The History Center