Built in 1934, "Al-Nadi Al-Islami Moslem Temple" is the first building in America designed and constructed as a house of worship for Muslims. After worshipping here for forty years, the Muslim community moved to the new Islamic Center in 1972. In 1990, the Islamic Council of Iowa, under the leadership of Imam Taha Tawil, purchased and restored the building. Celebrated Muslim scholar and translator Dr. Thomas Irving coined the name "Mother Mosque." Its February 15, 1992, re-dedication as a cultural center preserving the history of Islam in North America marked a new chapter in the life of the Mosque.
Download this plaque (PDF format)