HomeCRN > KingstonHill

Cedar Rapids Historic Markers

The Cedar Rapids Historic Markers project is a collaborative community history project that seeks to highlight notable historic sites throughout the city. 
1900 photo of Kingston Hill

Kingston Hill was built in 1899 as the Home for Aged Women. The organization was started by Mrs. E. J. Lund who took elderly widows into the Industrial Home for Children in 1887. It soon became a separate establishment and moved to several locations until it received a large gift to build this residence from Abraham Slimmer of Waverly, Iowa. Constructed of red brick above a rough stone base, the residence is in the Queen Anne style with a prominent corner tower. It provided 35 private rooms for women over the age of 65, along with a common dining room and parlors. It became Kingston Hill in 1976, but it remained a boarding house for women only until 2003 when men were able to join the community. Kingston Hill closed in 2016.

Download this plaque (PDF format)

© 2022  Cedar Rapids, Iowa, 101 First Street SE

Powered By Revize Login