The Iowa Theater was designed in a Neo-Classical Revival style by Omaha architect George L. Fisher. It opened in 1928 for the Orpheum vaudeville chain, and then became part of the RKO motion picture studio chain. The building incorporates shops and office space, as well as the theater auditorium and backstage facilities. The exterior is adorned with garlands depicting corn and other Iowa produce in decorative panels. After the movie theater closed in 1983, it became the home of the Cedar Rapids Community Theater, now Theatre Cedar Rapids. The theater, founded in 1929, first performed in Killian’s Tea Room.
Download this plaque (PDF format)