HomeCRN > HusMemorial

Cedar Rapids Historic Markers

The Cedar Rapids Historic Markers project is a collaborative community history project that seeks to highlight notable historic sites throughout the city. 
1928 photo of the building

Hus Memorial was incorporated in 1889 by a group of Czech-Bohemian immigrants affiliated with the Reformed Church denomination. . The congregation had begun meeting in 1874 in one of the buildings of the T.M. Sinclair factory where many of them worked. It became part of the Central West Bohemian Presbytery in 1910. This two-story red brick building, which replaced the original 1889 building at 9th Avenue SE and 7th Street SE in 1915, is dominated by a temple front with two-story columns. The new building was dedicated on January 9, 1916. The temple-front form was popular with Presbyterian congregations that stressed outreach and evangelism.

Download this plaque (PDF format)
© 2022  Cedar Rapids, Iowa, 101 First Street SE

Powered By Revize Login