Jesse Dulin in front of Highland (Dulin family) Grocery, The History Center clipping files.
This structure was initially built around 1914 as the D.W. Leonard and later Mineck Brothers Grocery. Just before 1920, Jesse Dulin and his family began operating the Highland Grocery store in this building at 216 13th Street NW. Jesse, his wife Belle, and other family members ran this neighborhood grocery through the early 1950’s. The name Highland refers to the name given to this neighborhood of homes up on the “hill” between B Avenue and First Avenue NW and between 10th Street and 18th Street NW. Most of the homes in this area were built between 1905 and 1940. In the 1930’s, Highland Grocery was one of over 210 small family grocery stores in Cedar Rapids. In the early 1960’s, the Dulin-Highland Grocery store building was converted into a residence.
Mark W. Stoffer Hunter, Research Historian, The History Center