HomeFor BusinessLicenses, Permits & TaxesPublic Improvement Permits > Permit to Work in Right of Way

Public Improvement Permits

Bond to Work in Right-of-Way

The public or City right-of-way is municipal property designated for general public use.  It consists of public improvements and private utilities.  Examples of public improvements include streets, sidewalks, sewers, water mains and street lights.

Homeowners, contractors, and utility agencies must complete one of the following permit applications and receive approval prior to beginning any work in the public right-of-way:

  • Application for Working in Public Right-of-Way Permit
  • Application for Working in Public Right-of-Way Permit - Direct Access Driveway Construction 

DOWNLOAD AN APPLICATION: These forms are available on the City's Right-of-Way page

Permit Regulations

Work Before Permit
If work for which a permit is required by the City Code is started prior to obtaining said permit, the permit fee shall be doubled, but the payment of such double fee shall not relieve any person from fully complying with the requirements of this Code in the execution of the work, nor from any other fees or penalties prescribed by law or ordinance.

Should a HOMEOWNER wish to improve their driveway, sidewalk or mailbox post by themselves within the right-of-way, a completed Application for Excavation must be submitted along with a copy of their current homeowner's insurance declarations page to the Public Works Department for consideration and approval.

If a CONTRACTOR is being hired to perform the work, the contractor must first be specifically bonded to perform work in the right-of-way prior to any work beginning.  This bond is available through the Public Works Department.  After the bond has been approved by the City (which may take up to ten business days for approval), the completed Application for Excavation must be submitted to the Public Works Department for consideration and approval.   Please contact the Public Works Department Engineering Division at 319-286-5802 for a list of contractors already bonded with the City.  

Location of private property vs. public right-of-way
The public right-of-way includes the streets and an area of land between the street and the legal property line.  The average distance between the property line and the edge of the street is 16 feet; however this distance is different for each property.  By locating the property pins, an accurate property line location may be determined.  If the property pins cannot be located, a licensed land surveyor can survey the legal description of your property.  

Sprinkler Systems
Private sprinkler systems are not allowed in the public right-of-way.  If private sprinklers are disturbed during construction, they will not be replaced.


© 2024  Cedar Rapids, Iowa, 101 First Street SE

Powered By Revize Login