Never miss collection day.
Get an alert on your phone or through email the evening before collection begins in your neighborhood. CRNewsNow — it’s how the City lets you know!
Fall Loose Leaf Vacuum Collection ended December 6
Watch this page for details on Spring 2019 loose leaf vacuum collection.
Leaf Vacuum Program Basics
- The leaf vacuum program helps our city protect our streams and the Cedar River. By keeping the leaves on the lawn and out of the street, less organic material is washed into our waterways through the storm sewer system.
- Rake leaves into long piles on the parking area or grass next to the street. Leaves must be kept out of the street. The vacuum truck will not collect leaves from alleys.
- Please do not park cars in front of the leaf piles; the truck will not be able to collect the leaves.
- Collect brush and branches to put in your YARDY cart for collection.
- Keep leaf piles away from obstacles like your collection carts, mailboxes, cars and utility poles.
The leaf vacuum program helps keep our lakes, rivers, and streams healthy, while protecting the safety of our community. When large numbers of leaves enter the storm sewer, the nutrients from decaying leaves overwhelm and choke out aquatic life. The leaf vacuum truck program keeps leaves out the street, reducing the number of leaves swept into the storm sewer and the likelihood of street flooding due to plugged drains. Keeping leaves out the street also reduces the risks associated with kids playing in leaf piles.
Additional leaf collection options
Customers can use their YARDY carts for the collection of leaves and other organic materials. YARDY carts are collected on a weekly basis throughout the year. Some customers have found that mulching leaves before placing in the YARDY cart increases the amount of material that will fit in the cart. There is a 300-pound weight limit for the 95-gallon YARDY cart.
Additional YARDY carts can be purchased for a one-time fee, which is added to your municipal utility bill. The additional YARDY cart is the property of the customer. For more information about purchasing additional YARDY carts, contact the Solid Waste & Recycling Division at (319) 286-5897.
During fall and spring leaf vacuum collection periods, paper leaf bags can be used for any leaves that do not fit in your YARDY cart. Leaf bags will ONLY be picked up if they are placed at the curb with a filled YARDY cart. Each leaf bag must weigh less than 40 pounds.