Assisted Collection Services
Residents who are unable to take their garbage, recycling and yard waste carts to the curb for collection may qualify for the City of Cedar Rapids Solid Waste and Recycling Assisted Collection Services Program. This service provides collection of the garbage, recycling and yard waste carts from the storage location, emptying, and returning of the carts.
In order to be eligible for services, it is required that:
- A physician determines that the resident is physically unable to transport their garbage, recycling and yard waste carts to the curb for collection due to a disability or health issues; and
- The resident does not have anybody living or working in their home who is capable of transporting garbage, recycling and yard waste carts to the curb.
To learn if you qualify for the Solid Waste and Recycling Assisted Collection Services Program, please read and follow the instructions below:
- The resident must complete the top portion of the Assisted Collection Services Program Verification Form provided by the City and have a physician complete the “Physician’s Statement” section of that verification form.
- Once completed, the resident must submit the completed verification form via mail to:
500 15th Avenue SW
Cedar Rapids, Iowa 52404;
Or via email to:
- Once the Assisted Collection Services Program Verification Form is received, a representative from the City of Cedar Rapids Solid Waste and Recycling Division will contact the resident to schedule an on-site visit. The purpose of the on-site visit is to determine an appropriate storage location that is easily accessible for Solid Waste and Recycling Division crews, determine specific needs of the resident (i.e. seasonal collection vs yearround collection, bag at curb vs GARBY by house, etc.), and to review the inclement weather procedure. The onsite visit is mandatory for any resident who wishes to be considered for participation in the Assisted Collection Services Program and will only be waived by the City for good cause.
- After the on-site visit has been conducted, a final determination as to whether or not the resident is eligible for assisted services and, if so, for what services the resident is eligible will be made by the City. If approved for services, the resident must sign the Consent for Entry form provided by the City and the service start date will be determined.
An approval for the Assisted Collection Services Program is valid for six (6) months. The Solid Waste and Recycling Division will send a renewal verification form to the resident, which must be returned within two (2) weeks from the date specified on the renewal verification form for renewals that do not require a physician’s signature because a physician has already opined that resident’s disability is permanent and one (1) month from the date specified on the renewal verification form for renewals requiring a physician’s signature. Failure to return the renewal verification form within the time required will result in discontinuation of service.
The City reserves the right to deny or terminate a resident’s participation in the Assisted Collection Services Program for good cause including, but not limited to: (1) the resident fails or ceases to meet the eligibility requirements of the Program; (2) the Assisted Collection Services Verification Form contains misrepresentations or is incomplete; (3) the resident refuses to participate in the initial on-site visit or to complete the Consent for Entry form; (4) the resident declines an alternative modification offered by the City in lieu of full service under the Program; (5) the resident fails to comply with any of the conditions of approval for the Program; (6) the resident who was approved for the Program ceases to live at the home receiving assisted services; or (7) the City is not able to reasonably access the resident’s garbage, recycling and/or yard waste carts. In the event participation in the Program is denied or terminated, the resident will be notified of the denial or termination in writing and will have fifteen days from the date of the written denial or termination notification in which to file an appeal with the City.
If at any time the resident’s status changes and the Assisted Collection Services are no longer needed or for general questions regarding the program, please contact the Solid Waste and Recycling Division at (319) 286-5897 or email at SolidWaste&Recycling@cedar-rapids.org.