Citywide #1BagChallenge Blitz! Monday, September 17, 2018
6 p.m. // McGrath Amphitheatre
You can help make downtown Cedar Rapids litter-free with our end-of-summer cleanup event! Join us and meet other residents who take pride in making a positive difference in our community.
Jeff Pomeranz, Cedar Rapids' City Manager, challenges every citizen to collect at least one bag of litter each year to help CleanUpCR! Pick up a kit and gather litter from your neighborhood, around your work place, or wherever you see the need!
Does one bag make a difference?
One bag on its own may not seem like a big deal, but if all 130,000+ residents took the time to collect one bag, it would make a huge difference in our community.
How do I participate?
- Pick up your litter collection kit at a designated location (listed below).
- Fill the bag with litter you find around your neighborhood, place of work, or wherever you see the need
- Set the full bag beside your GARBY cart on your normal garbage collection day. The special City Manager's Challenge bags do not require an extra $1.50 sticker. If you do not have a GARBY cart, handle the bag as you would your regular trash.
- Log your participation so we can recognize and measure community-wide progress:
Are there restrictions on where litter can be picked up? Litter can be collected from the right of way throughout the city with a few exceptions: Residents should not enter the Interstate to pick up litter, unless they are part of a sanctioned group. Residents should not pick up litter on private property without permission.
Can I get more than 1 litter collection kit? You can get as many litter collection kits as you think you will use. If you are interested in picking up litter on a continuous basis or have a group interested in picking up litter, contact the Cedar Rapids Solid Waste & Recycling Office at 319-286-5897, so we can get you the supplies you need.
How long will the challenge last? Bags are generally available from April 1st through October 31st each year, but litter can be collected year-round as weather permits.
What if I don't have a GARBY cart? If you do not have a GARBY cart, please dispose of the bag of litter as you would your normal trash. Solid waste haulers not associated with the City of Cedar Rapids will treat the litter bags as they would a normal bag of trash.
- Designated Hy-Vee Food or Drug Stores in Cedar Rapids
- 4035 Mt Vernon Rd SE
- 279 Collins Rd NE
- 505 Boyson Rd NE
- 2001 Blairs Ferry Rd NE
- 3235 Oakland Rd NE
- 4825 Johnson Ave NW
- 1843 Johnson Ave NW
- 5050 Edgewood Rd NE
- 20 Wilson Ave SW
- 1520 6th St SW
- NewBo City Market
- Cedar Rapids City Hall
- Cedar Rapids City Services Center Building
- Cedar Rapids Water Administration Building
- Cedar Rapids Public Library (Downtown and Ladd locations)