City Manager's #1BagBlitz
This year, we're introducing the #1BagBlitz, a special partnership with Blue Zones Project ® Cedar Rapids, to encourage businesses, groups and individual citizens to take the City Manager's 1 Bag Challenge (while “Moving Naturally”) and then call on another business, group, or citizen to also take the challenge. The #1BagBlitz runs through June 30, 2017, and it is EASY to participate:
- Groups can also call 319-286-5897 to request litter clean up supplies. We ask for 1 week of advance notice of your desired clean-up date if possible.
As people complete clean-ups, a map will be posted showing progress, recognizing those who've collected several bags of litter, and showing how many miles have been walked during this challenge. Those who log their participation using the online forms will also have a chance to win a variety of prizes when the #1BagBlitz campaign concludes.
Does one bag make a difference? One bag on its own may not seem like a big deal, but if all 126,000 citizens took the time to collect one bag, it would make a huge difference in our community.
How do I participate?
- Pick up your litter collection kit at designated Cedar Rapids Hy-Vee Food or Drug Store customer service counter or other participating organizations.
- Fill the bag with litter you find around your neighborhood, place of work, or wherever you see the need
- Set the full bag beside your GARBY cart on your normal garbage collection day. The special City Manager's Challenge bags do not require an extra $1.50 sticker. If you do not have a GARBY cart, handle the bag as you would your regular trash.
Are there restrictions on where litter can be picked up? Litter can be collected from the right of way throughout the city with a few exceptions: Residents should not enter the Interstate to pick up litter, unless they are part of a sanctioned group. Residents should not pick up litter on private property without permission.
Can I get more than 1 litter collection kit? You can get as many litter collection kits as you think you will use. If you are interested in picking up litter on a continuous basis or have a group interested in picking up litter, contact the Cedar Rapids Solid Waste & Recycling Office at 319-286-5897, so we can get you the supplies you need.
How long will the challenge last? The challenge generally runs from April 1st through October 31st each year.
What if I don't have a GARBY cart? If you do not have a GARBY cart, please dispose of the bag of litter as you would your normal trash. Solid waste haulers not associated with the City of Cedar Rapids will treat the litter bags as they would a normal bag of trash.
Where to get your kit:
- Designated Hy-Vee Food or Drug Stores in Cedar Rapids
- 4035 Mt Vernon Rd SE
- 279 Collins Rd NE
- 505 Boyson Rd NE
- 2001 Blairs Ferry Rd NE
- 3235 Oakland Rd NE
- 4825 Johnson Ave NW
- 1843 Johnson Ave NW
- 5050 Edgewood Rd NE
- 20 Wilson Ave SW
- 1520 6th St SW
- NewBo City Market
- Cedar Rapids City Hall
- Cedar Rapids City Services Center Building
- Cedar Rapids Water Administration Building
- Cedar Rapids Public Library (Downtown and Ladd locations)