Transit Service to Increase Bus Capacity Monday, June 15, 2020
City of Cedar Rapids Transit capacity will increase to 15 people per bus on all routes beginning Monday, June 15, 2020. Some restrictions remain for riders.
Q. What should I know about using Cedar Rapids Transit right now?
- Passengers will be required to enter and exit the bus through the back door, unless they have an ADA accessibility issue that requires the use of the front door.
- There will be no fares at this time.
- There is no peak or Saturday service at this time.
- Passengers will be required to wear face coverings (masks, bandanas, neck gaiters, scarves) on the bus or in the Ground Transportation Center (GTC).
- Bus capacity will be limited to 15 passengers per bus at this time. Extra buses will be available for overflow if needed.
- Passengers are asked to limit transit use for only essential trips, such as rides to work, the grocery store, or medical appointments.
- Passenger will not be allowed to wait inside the GTC, but will have access to the restrooms and information booth.
- Yellow chains have been installed on each bus to serve as a barrier to provide social distancing between the driver and passengers. Hand sanitizer is available on every bus for passenger use. Reminders will be posted regarding proper social distancing, hand hygiene, face coverings, etc.
The City will continue to partner with Horizons/NTS and with Linn County LIFTS to fill in any transportation service gaps. Adjustments will be made as necessary and as conditions change.
- Neighborhood Transportation Service (NTS) at Horizons will be expanding their after-hours service to provide day-time rides to work for those with critical employment transportation needs such as work at hospitals, grocery stores, care facilities, and convenience stores/gas stations. To schedule a ride, citizens should call 319-363-1321 at least 24 hours in advance. For more information about NTS services, schedules and regulations visit www.horizonsfamily.org.
- Linn County LIFTS paratransit service will continue to provide rides to existing customers for essential services including medical trips, pharmacy, dialysis or grocery. All other persons in need of essential medical transportation can contact LIFTS at 319-892-5170 to see if rides are available. Priority will be given to seniors and persons with disabilities. Vehicle capacity will be limited to follow social distancing protocols.