NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
2017 Proposed Route Changes Public Notice
NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that on the 23rd day of May, 2017 at 4:00 pm at the Council Chambers, 3rd floor, City Hall, 101 First Street SE, Cedar Rapids, Iowa, the Cedar Rapids City Council will hold a public hearing to consider bus route and schedule changes.
Cedar Rapids Transit is proposing to implement bus route and schedule changes based on the recommendations included in the 2016 Transit Study conducted by the Corridor Metropolitan Planning Organization. That study included an analysis of the current transit system and provided cost-neutral recommendations to focus on improving the existing fixed-route service by streamlining routes, reducing travel times, shifting service from lower-use to higher-use areas, and providing more transfer locations.
The proposed system includes the following recommendations:
- Cost-neutral improvements that can be absorbed within Cedar Rapids Transit’s current operating budget
- No increase in span of service hours
- No fare or transit levy increase
- Continuation of free Saturday service
- Increased frequency and bi-directional service on more routes
- Increased frequency on Route 5 (1st Ave East from downtown CR to Lindale Mall) from 30 to 15 minutes
- ½ hour peak service on routes that serve Kennedy, Jefferson, Washington, Metro & Prairie high schools (Linn-Mar and Marion high schools will have hourly service on Route 20)
- Routes 2 & 9 combined into one route with peak service
- Creation of alternative transfer locations besides the GTC
- Multiple routes serving Lindale, Westdale and Walmart locations
- Routes 1, 10 & 12 on the west side
- Routes 4, 6 & 30 on the northeast side
- Creation of two new circulators for Marion (Route 20) and NE Cedar Rapids & Hiawatha (Route 30)
- Departures from the GTC will shift to 15 and 45 after the hour for a consistent departure schedule and connections with Route 5.
- Elimination of low-use bus stops and/or consolidation of bus stops along busier routes to improve travel times
Any interested person or agency is invited to attend this hearing and speak for or against any of the proposed changes. Please forward any written comments to the Office of the City Clerk, 101 First Street SE, Cedar Rapids, Iowa 52401 prior to the public hearing. For additional information, please contact Brad DeBrower, Transit Manager, at 319-286-5560 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.