Sidewalk Repair & Reimbursement Program
In July 2014, Council formally adopted the Complete Streets Policy, Complete Streets Design Standards, and Sidewalk Master Plan. The adoption encourages the inclusion of safe and accessible walking environments – a complete approach to infrastructure. Sidewalk maintenance plays a key role as we work to support walkable and connected neighborhoods.
Property Owner Maintenance
If your sidewalk is found to need repairs, the resources below will provide you with the information you’ll need to perform the necessary improvements.
Sidewalks are located in the public right-of-way. Prior to working in the right-of-way, one of the following applications must be submitted and approved:
- Application for Public Right-of-Way Permit (a $50 fee applies) OR
- Application for Public Right-of-Way Permit - Direct Access Driveway Construction (to be used when constructing sidewalk in the driveway)
The Iowa State Code places the responsibility on sidewalk maintenance and repairs on the adjacent property owner. However, the City does offer partial reimbursement to property owners who undertake the repairs themselves, or who use an owner-hired contractor bonded with the City. A list of bonded contractors is available under “Resources and Forms,” at the bottom of the page.
In order to receive reimbursement, property owners must:
Complete the sidewalk repairs by the completion date provided in the City’s official notice
Print and return the Reimbursement Registration Form (available below)
Provide copies of invoices or receipts. These should be from verifiable businesses. Examples include: Specified concrete (C or M Mix from an IDOT certified supplier), concrete forms, curing compound, reinforcing steel, stone under paving, concrete disposal charges, tool rental and traffic control. Non-acceptable examples: labor, tools that can be reused and backfill dirt.
Sidewalk Repaired by the PROPERTY OWNER for March 2015 Policy
Unit Price Reimbursed by CITY per Square Foot
Type of Repair
Up to 7.5' Wide
(In a 4 Year Period)
|GENERAL SIDEWALK REPAIR||$2.975 per square foot (35% of $8.50 per square foot)||$1,000|
PLEASE NOTE: for SIDEWALK NOTIFICATION OF REPAIR LETTERS prior to March 2015, there was a different policy in effect.
Beginning in 2014, we will focus sidewalk repair efforts on a rotating district basis. A map is available to find which district your property is located in. You may request to add your property to the Sidewalk Program regardless of its location during any year.
- Sidewalk Installation Policy (updated February 2012)
- Sidewalk Repair and Reimbursement Policy (updated March 2015)
- Sidewalk Reimbursement Registration Form
- Financial Assistance Policy on Sidewalk Repair (updated March 2015)
- *Application available upon request
- FAQ Sidewalk Repair and Reimbursement
- Sidewalk Information for Builders
- Sidewalk Bonded Contractors.pdf
- Sidewalk Master Plan
- ADA Curb Ramp Inspection Form