New Pedestrian Master Plan
The City of Cedar Rapids is seeking public input to help shape a new Pedestrian Master Plan. The goal of the plan is to develop an updated priority list of sidewalk needs throughout the community, tailored for residents of all ages, interests, and abilities and taking into consideration existing transit and trail amenities.
Public outreach will play a key role in the plan’s update, and there are several ways for residents to share their feedback with the City. Outreach will include both online tools as well as public open houses, workshops with stakeholders, and “pop-up” workstations at local grocery stores and libraries. Online tools have been designed to encourage interactive feedback – residents can leave comments on the online map and help staff learn problem areas or concerns with connectivity and sidewalk gaps.
Community Workshop | Opportunity to learn, discuss, and prioritize goals together
- Wednesday, June 27, from 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. at the Cedar Rapids Public Library (450 5th Avenue SE).
Tuesday, June 26, 3:30 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. at Hy-Vee, 1556 1st Avenue NE
Thursday, June 28, 9:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. at the Ladd Library, 3750 Williams Boulevard S
Thursday, June 28, 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. at the Ground Transportation Center, 450 1st Street SE
Online Survey | A quick 5-10 minute survey to share your perspectives
- Take the survey HERE
Interactive Map | Leave comments, draw your preferred routes, or point out problem areas
- Access the map HERE
The public outreach period runs until the end of June, 2018. Based on public feedback, the City will develop a draft plan this winter for the community to review.
2014 Sidewalk Master Plan
The plan's primary focus is to prioritize sidewalk installation by inventorying missing segments in the City's existing walkway network and identifying opportunities and constraints in the installation of a complete sidewalk system. Given the plan's limited scope, this plan does not address intersection or roadway crossing issues other than as an extension of new walk segments.
Future Sidewalk Facilities
- APPENDIX A: GLOSSARY
- APPENDIX B1: LIST OF SIDEWALK SEGMENTS
- APPENDIX B2: LIST OF GAPS (SORTED BY SCORE PER GAP)
- APPENDIX C: CEDAR RAPIDS SIDEWALK MASTER PLAN SURVEY (ON-LINE FORM)
- APPENDIX D: CEDAR RAPIDS SIDEWALK MASTER PLAN SURVEY RESULTS (ON-LINE FORM)
- APPENDIX E: LIST OF PEDESTRIAN GENERATORS
- APPENDIX F: FIGURES
- HIGH PRIORITY SIDEWALK SEGMENTS
- PRIORITY RANKING MAP
- SIDEWALK GAPS
- CITY LIMITS & QUADRANT MAP
- AREAS LACKING SIDEWALK
- CRITERIA FLOW CHART
- BUS ROUTES MAP
- PROXIMITY TO GENERATORS
- NO SIDEWALK ON EITHER SIDE OF THE ROADWAY CORRIDOR
- AREAS WITH EVIDENCE OF PEDESTRIAN USE
- ROADWAY CLASSIFICATION MAP
- SIDEWALK MAP
- RATED SIDEWALK MAP
- SIDEWALK INSPECTION ZONES