US Army Corps of Engineers Projects
- Project Partnership Agreement with US Army Corps of Engineers (signed November 2018)
- Applies to east side of system; leverages federal funding
- 5 years completion goal
- Work on west side of system continues
Projects Starting 2019 – 2020
- 3rd Avenue SE Removable Flood Gate
- 16th Avenue SE Roller Flood Gate
- Lot 44 Levee and Pump Station
- Sinclair Pump Station (station already operational—adding two additional pumps)
LEARN MORE - Open House Renderings
See renderings presented during a recent public open house.
Fall Open House // Learn more this fall on a variety of concepts still underway:
- Elevated O Avenue
- E and F Avenue Reconfiguration
- 8th Ave Bridge and Riverfront Improvements (pump station, flood wall, amphitheatre restroom)
16th Avenue SE Roller Gate
- Roller gate constructed 2020 (archway constructed 2021)
- Rolls across road to keep water in river
- Room to store gate behind flood wall
- Protects to 2008 flood volume
- 45 minutes to close gate
3rd Avenue SE Removable Flood Gates
- Permanent columns on sidewalk
- Stackable panel gate during flood
- Protects to 2008 volume
- Deployed for a 22 ft river elevation
- Levee Construction: 2018–2020
- 2018–2019: Solid Waste Agency to Bowling Street SW
- 2019–2020: Bowling Street to 16th Avenue SW
- First permanent flood control on the west side of the river since the adoption of the master plan.
- Levee will be approximately ½ mile long.
- Once levee is complete: provides protection to a river elevation up to 19.5 feet
- Once entire Flood Control System is complete: provides protection to 2008 flood volume
NewBo/Masaryk Park Monument Relocations
- Park construction: 2021
- Collection of markers and memorial benches which recall individuals significant to the history and development of the New Bohemia District.
- Monuments were removed during levee construction and will be relocated to a new site in the district.
Quaker Oats Flood Wall
- Construction: August 2018–2021
- First major permanent protection downtown.
- Protects one of the nation's leading agricultural producers.
- 2,100 linear feet of permanent flood wall.
- Will ultimately protect to the 2008 flood volume.
- Includes pump station upgrades, water transmission main relocation, and railroad closure gate.
8th Avenue Bridge & Riverfront Improvements
- Construction: 2023+
- Bridge remains open during floods
- Fewer piers in river
- Elevated 15 feet
- Raised above 2008 volume
- Flood wall
- Pump station
- Public gathering spaces
- Complements Amphitheatre
- Indoor/outdoor public space