2016 Paving for Progress Impacts
The 2016 Paving for Progress season is nearing completion, which includes approximately 10 linear miles of pavement improvements. This year marked the third construction season of the program, which will include an estimated $18.4 million investment and a completion of 28 streets.
The program has enabled renewed efforts on the construction and maintenance of public streets, including residential and arterial roadways in all four quadrants of the city. This year, improvements were completed on 42nd Street NE, which included pavement reconstruction as well as improvements to traffic flow and pedestrian safety. Other projects of note this year: Oakland Road NE, which included pavement rehabilitation, bike and pedestrian improvements, and intersection reconstruction; Edgewood Road NW, which included complete rehabilitation; 7th Street SE, which includes transitioning to two-way traffic, and West Post Road NW, which included pavement reconstruction and drainage improvements.
Program impacts to date include:
- Linear miles of roadway improved: 24
- Investment in roadways as of October 1, 2016: $40.8 million
- Projects completed to date: 79
“We are very proud of the impacts we continue to make throughout the community,” says Paving for Progress Program Manager Doug Wilson. “This funding source has enabled us to make lasting impacts and to begin making positive improvements to the condition of our roadways.”
Complete list of 2016 improvements include:
- 74th Street NE from White Ivy Place to C Avenue
- West Post Rd NW from Plainview to E Avenue Roadway
- Oakland Rd NE from H Avenue to J Avenue
- 8th Avenue SW from L Street SW to 7th Street SW
- 42nd Street NE from Edgewood Rd to IA N RR
- McCarthy Road SE from 19th Street SE to Memorial Drive SE
- Leroy Street SW from Johnson Avenue to 1st Street Avenue and Spencer Drive SW
- Park Place NE from Council Street to North Park Place Lane
- 3rd Street SW from 16th Avenue to 19th Avenue
- Bramble Rd SW from 29th Avenue to 33rd Avenue
- Burch Avenue NW from 24th Street to 19th Street
- Coral Ln SW from Cameo to Eden Ln
- F Av NE from Estroy to Old Marion
- Hazel Drive NE, North Intersection
- Mansfield Avenue SE from 30th Street to 31st Street
- 42nd Street NE from I-380 to Wenig Rd
- B Avenue NW from Highland Drive to 8th Street
- 7th Street SE from 4th Avenue to 12th Avenue
- Edgewood Road NW from E Avenue to F Avenue
- Cameo Ln SW from Pebble to 33rd Avenue
- Pebble Drive SW from Chapel to Bramble
- Carriage Drive SW from Bramble to Chapel
- Eden Ln SW from Bayberry to 33rd
- 7th Street SE from 10th Avenue to 12th Avenue
- Bayberry Drive SW from Cameo to Edgewood Road
- Chapel Drive SW from 29th Street to Bayberry Drive
- Seminole Valley Rd NE from Fords Crossing Rd to 42nd St NE Phase 1
- 34th St NE from C Ave to F Ave
Creating a Comprehensive Strategy for our Roads
Creating a strategic 10-year plan enables the City to allocate funding to the best and highest use, relying on a prioritization list that is data driven, impartial, and measurable.The Paving for Progress program, made possible by the one-percent local option sales tax, allows the City to utilize a pay-as-you-go funding source, rather than selling bonds and incurring debt. The City will collect updated pavement condition data on our streets and re-evaluate the plan every two years, to ensure the plan is supporting the best and highest use of funding.
- Download the Capital Improvement Plan
- Learn more about how the Capital Improvement Plan was developed by watching the video below.
- CR City Source Newsletter
- CR News Now text alerts.
- You can also connect with us on Facebook or Twitter.