Public Works

Street Maintenance

Who do I contact if there is tree down in the street?

Please contact the Forestry Division at (319) 286-5802.

When can I put my leaves in the street?

Starting in 2009, no leaves will be allowed to be put into the street at any time.

Who do I call if my street light is out?

Street light bulbs within the City burn out once they meet their maximum life cycle. A majority of the street lights throughout the City are maintained by utility companies. If you see a street light outage, please notify the City so a notification may be sent to the appropriate utility company.  The bulb is usually replaced within a couple weeks, depending on the utility company's workloads. To report a street light outage, call Traffic Engineering at (319) 286-5802 or call Alliant Energy directly at (319) 398-4406.

How do I go about filling in my ditch?
Contact the Engineering Division at (319) 286-5802. 
My sidewalk has uneven panels, how do I go about getting these repaired?

Iowa State Code 364.12 places the responsibility to repair Portland cement concrete sidewalks along the frontages of public streets on the adjacent property owner. Sidewalk repair, whether it is voluntarily executed or done in response to a City of Cedar Rapids mandate, shall be eligible for City reimbursement according to the policy below (voluntary repairs should be pre-approved):

How do I go about getting my gravel alley dust free?

There are two different methods used for dust control. One is an application of Magnesium Chloride applied by a chemical spray truck. However this is a short term solution, as repeated rains will degrade the product over time. The preferred method is seal coating, at a cost of $5.00 per linear foot, the alley will be scarified, a base stabilization process added, laid back out, compacted, then followed up with a seal coat of emulsion road oil and oil coated rock chips. This procedure also comes with a one-year warranty; if the seal coat fails it will be replaced at no cost. To request a petition for alley seal coating, email

I'm sick of looking at the tall grass and weeds. What can I do?

Call Public Works at (319) 286-5802. We will assess the situation and if the situation warrants abatement, the property owner will be sent a notice. If the owner has not mowed after 5 days, a mowing contractor will cut the tall grass and weeds. The property owner will be assessed the cost. Roadway mowing adjacent to City streets is maintained by the Street Program on a regular schedule throughout the Summer months. 

There are "No Parking" signs in front of my house. What is going on?

Call Public Works at (319) 286-5802. We are performing general maintenance on your street such as crack sealing, mud–jacking, concrete replacement, etc. If a private contractor is doing work, we can let you know what is being done. 

© 2019  Cedar Rapids, Iowa, 101 First Street SE

Powered By Revize Login