Collins Road carries 25,000 – 30,000 vehicles a day and is the city’s busiest corridor.
A 2018 project supports the goal of adding significant capacity improvements to relieve congestion and make it easier for people to get in and out of both the Lindale Mall and Collins Crossing shopping centers. The addition of sidewalks will also provide much-needed safety improvements for pedestrians.
Area: Collins Road NE, from just east of Northland Avenue to Twixt Town Road
Years of Construction: Spring 2018 – 2019
Construction cost: $7.4 million, City-funded portion of the project is 24%
- Additional travel lanes on Collins Road (three in each direction)
- Additional turn lanes at the Lindale Mall / Collins Crossing intersections
- New sidewalk on both sides of Collins Road
- New traffic signals with pedestrian indications/push buttons
- Stormwater management treatment
- Frontage road north of Collins Road will be removed to accommodate the additional travel lanes on Collins Road
Lane closures will be in effect during the course of construction, business access remains open. Lane restrictions will not take place during the busy holiday shopping season between November 1 and December 31
Planning is still underway to add capacity improvements on Collins Road, from Northland Avenue to Center Point Road.
Sign up for project emails on Collins Road, or other road improvement projects throughout the community.
April 23, 2018
Collins Road will be fully closed during overnight hours on Wednesday and Thursday (April 25 and April 26) to allow for the installation of new sanitary sewer and water main across the road. The closure area is between Twixt Town Road and Lindale Drive (Collins Crossing). Twixt Town Road will remain open during the closures.
- Wednesday, April 25 at 9 PM to Thursday, April 26 at 6 AM
- Thursday, April 26 at 9 PM to Friday, April 27 at 6 AM
April 3, 2018
Work is currently underway on the Collins Road project. Later this week, weather permitting, the contractor will begin median work between Twixt Town Road and just east of Northland Avenue. Travel will be reduced to one lane in each direction during this phase, which will last approximately three weeks.
The project started early March with utility work and removal of the frontage road north of Collins Road. Work the next few weeks will include temporarily removing the medians to allow traffic to shift during construction. Medians will be re-installed before the project is completed.