CIVIL SEIZURE AND IMPOUNDMENT OF MOTOR VEHICLES
It is the policy of the City of Cedar Rapids to deter the use of motor vehicles in connection with certain conduct. Such vehicles shall be subject to civil seizure and impound. Those activities include;
- Controlled substance violations.
- Possession of drug paraphernalia.
- Driving while license suspended, revoked or barred.
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Eluding or attempting to elude a police officer.
- Leaving the scene of a personal injury or property damage accident.
- Failure to provide proof of insurance.
- Weapons offenses and intimidation with a dangerous weapon.
Vehicles towed and impounded for any of the above reasons will be subject to a $500 civil fee that must be paid before the vehicle can be released. In certain circumstances when the charge is failure to provide proof of insurance, and none of the other above offenses apply, the civil fee may be waived. It is recommended that owners of impounded vehicles contact the Cedar Rapids Police Department, Property Division, for more information.
Updated: As of February 28, 2019, the civil impound ordinance has been suspended and the Department is not requiring a $500 civil fee. If your vehicle was towed by authority of the Police Department after February 28, 2019, please contact the Towed Vehicle Division at 319-286-5305.
Hours for the Property Division are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., except on City holidays. Please call 319-286-5305 menu option “1”.
319-286-5305 menu option "1"
Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Closed on City holidays