Welcome to the NEW City of Cedar Rapids application process! Please read the following information before you begin your application. *We will no longer be accepting paper applications or pdf file applications.*
You can now apply online by clicking on the job title in which you are interested and clicking on the "Apply" link! If this is the first time you are applying using our online job application, you will need to create an account and select a Username and Password. It is very important to keep your username and password in order to apply for other positions and to edit or add to your application at any time. After your account has been established, you can build an application by clicking on the "Build Job Application" link. This application can be saved and used to apply for more than one job opening.
Online applications are stored on a secure site. Only authorized employees and hiring authorities have access to the information submitted.
It is important that your application show all the relevant education and experience you possess. You may attach a resume or any supporting documents, but the actual application must be completed in its entirety or it will be rejected as incomplete.
Applications which pass the screening for minimum qualifications may go through candidate testing before submittal to the hiring manager. Please allow 3 - 6 weeks after the posting deadline for communication on your applications status in the hiring process. Applications are not reviewed by the hiring managers until after the posting deadline.
Please monitor your email regularly for position status updates!
You will be contacted via e-mail on your application’s status with the next stages in the hiring process. If you are not selected for the position you have applied for you will receive an email thanking your for your interest in the position and employment with the City of Cedar Rapids.
The City of Cedar Rapids welcomes diversity in all forms including; race, gender, background, sexual orientation, age, national origin and thought. The City strives for a workforce that reflects the community we serve! The City of Cedar Rapids appreciates the values, leadership, and unique skills service members bring to the workforce & encourages opportunities to employ Guardsmen, Reservists, and Veterans!
It is the policy of the City of Cedar Rapids to recruit and select the most qualified candidates for open positions. Recruitment and selection shall be conducted in an affirmative manner which ensures open competition and provides equal employment opportunities as protected by state and federal law. We recruit, process, and assign all applicants on the basis of their qualifications for the particular position. We do so without regard to any factor unrelated to their ability to fulfill job requirements.
If you have any questions about this process, please call the Cedar Rapids Human Resources Office at: 319-286-5000.
Thank you for your interest in employment with the City of Cedar Rapids!
Additional information about the application process:
A pre-employment drug screen is required. A post-offer physical/medical screening is required before the City of Cedar Rapids may employ you. If you test positive for drugs or alcohol, a one-year waiting period is necessary before you may reapply.
Assistance provided to disabled individuals upon request.
The City of Cedar Rapids is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Tips for applying:
- Have at least one person proofread your application – over half of the resumes and applications we see have typographical and/or grammatical errors.
- List your certifications and licenses on the application – do not say "see resume". If you have a large number of certifications/licenses, list the most applicable to the job and state listed on your resume.
- Do not use acronyms unless you know for sure that everyone reviewing your materials will know what the acronym means (for instance, "CPR" is pretty standard).
- If the formatting on the application is not compatible with your software, contact us. Do not submit an application that is improperly formatted.
- Save a copy of your application, in case something happens with the electronic submission or in case you want to modify it for a different position later on.
- Your patience is greatly appreciated. We strive to update applicants as quickly as possible but sometimes the number of applications we receive requires a longer period to review.
- Answer the questions honestly. If you have a misdemeanor or felony, it does not automatically disqualify you from a position. If you do not list a conviction (other than traffic tickets), you have falsified the application and will be automatically disqualified from consideration.