The Cedar Rapids Fire Department offers a monthly presentation of safety topics of interest to older adults and/or families. All are welcome to attend!
The monthly programs focus on timely safety topics for older adults. The Fire Department hopes to connect older adults with available community resources. Many of the topics will be presented in partnership with other organizations such as AARP, Area Substance Abuse Council, Cedar Rapids Police Department, and Linn County TRIAD, to reduce older adults’ vulnerability to fire, injury, or crime.
Download 2019 Program Poster
The sessions will be held from 11:00 a.m. to Noon at the Central Fire Station, 713 1st Avenue SE. Scheduled topics include:
- November 28, 2018 - What Really Matters at the End of Life
- December 26, 2018 - Fire/Fall Safety
- January 23, 2019 - Situational Awareness & Basic Defense for Adults
- February 27, 2019 - Preparing for Personal Emergencies
- March 27, 2019 - Older Adult Resource Expo (11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. with various vendors)
- April 24, 2019 - Aging Services: What is the CHORE Program?
- May 22, 2019 - First Aid: Stop the Bleed
- June 26, 2019 - Safe Aging in Place
- July 24, 2019 - Managing the Medicare Maze
- August 28, 2019 - Encore Cafe - What is it?
- September 25, 2019 - Tai Chi
- October 23, 2019 - You and Your Medications
- November 27, 2019 - 380 Express
Participants will be offered a tour of the Central Fire Station following the “Safety Scoop” presentation.
Parking is limited. In addition to CRFD parking lots, people can park on side streets such as 2nd Avenue and 7th Street SE.