The Cedar Rapids Fire Department offers a monthly presentation of safety topics of interest to older adults and/or families. All are welcome to attend!
The monthly programs focus on timely safety topics for older adults. The Fire Department hopes to connect older adults with available community resources. Many of the topics will be presented in partnership with other organizations such as AARP, Area Substance Abuse Council, Cedar Rapids Police Department, and Linn County TRIAD, to reduce older adults’ vulnerability to fire, injury, or crime.
Download 2020 Program Poster
The sessions will be held from 11:00 a.m. to Noon at the Central Fire Station, 713 1st Avenue SE. Scheduled topics include:
- January 22, 2020 - Current Schemes and Scams
- February 26, 2020 - Disaster Preparation
- March 25, 2020 - Older Adult Resource Expo (11 a.m. - 1 p.m.)
- April 22, 2020 - Construction Fraud
- May 27, 2020 - Gadgets for Better Living
- June 24, 2020 - Financial Exploitation (VIRTUAL - NO IN-PERSON ATTENDANCE)
- July 22, 2020 - Managing the Medicare Maze
- August 26, 2020 - Basic Legal Planning for End-of-Life
- September 23, 2020 - Recreation - What's Available for Adults in Cedar Rapids
- October 28, 2020 - Update on Local Senior Center
- November 25, 2020 - 55+ Initiative - Matching Adults to Volunteer Opportunities
- December 23, 2020 - Coping for the Holidays
Participants will be offered a tour of the Central Fire Station following the “Safety Scoop” presentation.
Parking is limited. In addition to CRFD parking lots, people can park on side streets such as 2nd Avenue and 7th Street SE.
For more information, contact the Public Education Department at 319-286-5166.