The Cedar Rapids Fire Department offers a monthly presentation of safety topics of interest to older adults and/or families. All are welcome to attend!
The monthly programs focus on timely safety topics for older adults. The Fire Department hopes to connect older adults with available community resources. Many of the topics will be presented in partnership with other organizations such as AARP, Area Substance Abuse Council, Cedar Rapids Police Department, and Linn County TRIAD, to reduce older adults’ vulnerability to fire, injury, or crime.
DOWNLOAD 2018 PROGRAM POSTER
The sessions will be held from 11:00 a.m. to Noon at the Central Fire Station, 713 1st Avenue SE. Scheduled topics for 2018 include:
- January 24th - Caregiver Resources
- February 28th - Understanding and Responding to Stress
- March 28th - Adult Resource Expo (11:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.)
- April 25th - Chair Yoga: How Staying Active Prevents Falls
- May 23rd - Alzheimer's - The Long Goodbye
- June 27th - Eating Healthy
- July 25th - Grandparent First Aid and CPR
- August 22nd - In-Home Care
- September 26th - Transportation Resources: Not Having a Car in the City
- October 24th - Scams
- November 28th - What Really Matters at the End of Life
- December 26th - Fire/Fall Safety
Participants will be offered a tour of the Central Fire Station following the “Safety Scoop” presentation.
Parking is available on the 2nd Avenue side of the Central Fire Station in the old Rapid Reproductions parking lot at 2nd Avenue and 7th Street SE.