Fire

Power strip overloaded caused an electrical fireThe Fire Department offers the following electrical safety advice:

Watch out for the following hazards:

  • Downed power lines
  • Blown fuses or tripped circuit breakers
  • Cracked or frayed wiring
  • A burning smell coming from appliances or wiring
  • Cords under rugs, across doorways or affixed to walls
  • Feeling a tingle when you touch something electrical


Safety tips you can do:

  • To protect small children, put covers over electrical outlets.
  • All electrical work should be done by a qualified licensed electrician.
  • Only use extension cords temporarily.
  • Make sure anything electrical has a label from an approved testing lab, such as Underwriters Laboratories Inc. (UL) or Factory Mutual Research Corporation (FM)
  • Give space heaters space – at least three feet from combustibles.

More Information:
For more information about electrical safety, contact the Cedar Rapids Fire Department at 319-286-5268 or send an E-mail message to our Public Education Division.

Connect With Us

© 2016  Cedar Rapids, Iowa, 101 First Street SE

Powered By Revize Login