- The family must be a current Housing Choice Voucher program participant who has completed an initial Section 8 lease term consisting of 12 months.
- The family must be in good standing with Housing Services. This includes having no family-caused violations of HUD’s Housing Quality standards within the past year and also not committing any serious or repeated violations of a lease within the past year.
- The family cannot owe monies to the City of Cedar Rapids Housing Services or any other Housing Agency for any outstanding debts.
- The family must complete the pre-assistance and post purchase homeownership counseling required by Housing Services.
- Families who have been participating in the Family Self-Sufficiency (FSS) program for at least six months or have graduated from the FSS program will be given preference over other families. Elderly and disabled families will automatically be given this preference.
- Housing Services will administer up to 5 new homeownership units per year. This number may be exceeded if it is necessary as a reasonable accommodation for a person with a disability.
101 First Street SE
Cedar Rapids, IA 52401
8:00 AM to 5:00 PM M-F
Phone: (319) 286-5872
Fax: (319) 286-5870
Helpful Links & Forms
Horizons Credit Counseling