The City of Cedar Rapids Housing Services Division offers both Initial and Refresher Lead Safe Renovator certification classes.
In April 2010, regulations impacting renovation work in pre-1978 residential housing (target housing) and child occupied facilities became effective nation-wide. These rules require at least one certified lead-safe renovator per renovation, and the use of specific lead-safe work practices. In Iowa, the Iowa Department of Public Health has the authority to implement this program.
Who should attend?
Any firm that performs renovation, repair, and paint projects that disturb lead-based paint in homes, child care facilities and preschools built before 1978 must use certified Lead Safe Renovators.
8-hour Initial Lead Safe Renovator
- This one-day course focuses on working safely with lead-based painted surfaces.
- This course is required by the State of Iowa and the EPA for anyone working in or on pre-1978 housing and child-occupied facilities.
- This includes, but is not limited to, work such as: Painting, Siding, Windows and Doors, Gutters, Roofing, Finish Trim Work, Flooring, Countertops and Cabinets, Window Treatments, Garage Doors, Foundation Repair, Electrical, Plumbing, HVAC and Mechanical, etc.
4-hour Lead Safe Renovator Refresher
- This half-day course is for individuals that have already taken an approved Initial Lead Save Renovator and that need to renew their Lead Safe Renovator certification.
- This course is required by the State of Iowa and the EPA every 3 years to recertify.
8-hour Initial Class 8AM – 5PM
February 13, 2018
March 13, 2018
April 10, 2018
July 10, 2018
4-hour Refresher Class 8AM – 12PM
February 22, 2018
March 22, 2018
April 19, 2018
June 21, 2018
July 19, 2018
To reserve a spot contact City of Cedar Rapids Housing Services – 319-286-5179
All course are located at City Hall – 101 First Street SE, Cedar Rapids Iowa 52401