The City of Cedar Rapids Housing Services Division offers both Initial and Refresher Lead Safe Renovator certification classes.
In April 2010, regulations impacting renovation work in pre-1978 residential housing (target housing) and child occupied facilities became effective nation-wide. These rules require at least one certified lead-safe renovator per renovation, and the use of specific lead-safe work practices. In Iowa, the Iowa Department of Public Health has the authority to implement this program.
The Lead Certification Program requires training and certification of lead-safe renovators. it also requires certification of the firms that employ certified lead professionals.
Who should attend?
Any firm that performs renovation, repair, and paint projects that disturb lead-based paint in homes, child care facilities and preschools built before 1978 must use certified Lead Safe Renovators.
8-hour Initial Lead Safe Renovator
- This one-day course focuses on working safely with lead-based painted surfaces.
- This course is required by the State of Iowa and the EPA for anyone (for profit, or non-profit) working in or on pre-1978 housing and child-occupied facilities.
- This includes, but is not limited to work such as: Painting, Siding, Windows and Doors, Gutters, Roofing, Finish Trim work, Flooring, Countertops and Cabinets, Window Treatments, Garage Doors, Foundation Repair, Electrical, Plumbing, HVAC and Mechanical, etc.
4-hour Lead Safe Renovator Refresher
- This half-day course is for individuals that have already taken an approved Initial Lead Safe Renovator and that need to renew their Lead Safe Renovator certification.
- This course is required by the State of Iowa and the EPA every 3 years to recertify.
8-hour Initial Class 8AM – 5PM
February 19, 2019
March 12, 2019
April 16, 2019
May 14, 2019
June 11, 2019
July 9, 2019
August 13, 2019
4-hour Refresher Class 8AM – 12PM
February 28, 2019
March 21, 2019
April 25, 2019
May 23, 2019
June 13, 2019
July 18, 2019
August 22, 2019
To reserve a spot contact City of Cedar Rapids Housing Services – 319-286-5179
All course are located at City Hall – 101 First Street SE, Cedar Rapids Iowa 52401