Getting Started | Program Documents:
- Lead Hazard Control Application
- Lead Hazard Control Grant Brochure
- Lead Renovation Class Schedule 2017
WHAT'S THE RISK? LEAD-PAINT HARMS KIDS
Children exposed to lead-based paint or contaminated dust can have:
- Reduced IQ
- Developmental delays
- Learning disabilities
- Impaired hearing
The number of kids in Iowa with elevated blood lead levels is greater than the
national average. Any children who spend a lot of time in homes with leadbased paint are at risk. The greatest concern is for children under age 6. Get your children tested for lead-paint exposure.
Your home is more likely to have lead-based paint if:
- It was built before 1978
- It is located within an area roughly bound by
- 11th Street, E Avenue and Edgewood Road NW;
- 1st Avenue W; Rockford Road and Wilson Avenue SW;
- J Avenue, I-380, 32nd Street and 29th Street NE;
- 1st Avenue E; Forest Drive; and
- 19th Street and 15th Avenue SE
Download a map: Hazard Hunters Danger Zone Map
HELP FOR YOUR HOME
The City of Cedar Rapids and Linn County Public Health have a program that can help you find and fix lead-paint problems for little or no cost to you. There is a grant that can help both homeowners and landlords. If you live in the target area list above, you might qualify – especially if children under 6 live with you. Plus, it’s FREE to find out if you are eligible.
Thanks to a Lead Hazard Control Grant from the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), we can help those who qualify with:
- Inspection costs
- Improvement costs
- Healthy Homes assessments and education
- Relocation assistance during repairs
It costs nothing to find out if you’re eligible. Call 319-286-5872 today.
Ownership and Occupancy
Applicants for lead hazard assistance must own and occupy the property. Investor owned properties are also eligible for assistance if the tenant meets income or other requirements. Assistance will be provided to households within the city limits of Cedar Rapids but outside of two designated property acquisition areas (100 year flood plain and the surrounding construction zone for levee).
Current Property Taxes and all other related Housing Payments
The applicant shall have no outstanding delinquent property taxes, housing payments and homeowners insurance coverage shall be current.
Financial assistance is provided for owner occupied properties and 60% for investor owners. The assistance provided is dependent upon meeting HUD income guidelines.
Median family income is based on the income limits in the Federal Median Family Income Limits. Households income must be considered low to moderate as indicated in the table below:
|Family Size||50% Median Income||80% Median Income|
A property lien shall be recorded on the property for Lead Hazard Control costs. The cost for assistance will be recaptured if the property is:
- Sold or ownership is transferred to another party
- Vacated making it no longer the principal residence of the owner
- Rented for tenant occupancy, except for that allowed when the financial assistance was provided
Lien Forgiveness Schedule