Single Family New Construction
WE ARE NO LONGER ACCEPTING BUILDER APPLICATIONS FOR PARTICIPATION IN THE FOURTH ROUND OF THE SINGLE FAMILY NEW CONSTRUCTION (ROOTS) PROGRAM
Development will be allowed in the following areas for this phase of program:
Tier 1 Area - Development will be located in core neighborhoods ("Tier 1") with continued focus in the Neighborhood Revitalization Area. The City will provide lots acquired through the Voluntary Acquisition Program, at no cost, to qualified developers for participation in the program. Privately owned properties in this area are also eligible for consideration and grant funds be may be available to offset lot acquisition costs.
Tier 2 Area - Development will be located in identified areas adjacent to the Tier 1 core neighborhoods.
Tier 3 Area - Development will be located in identified areas within the municipal boundaries of Cedar Rapids as wells as the Cedar Rapids Community School District.
- Lots shall NOT be located in the 100-year floodplain.
- Lots shall not be located in the City's Greenway or Construction Study Area.
- Builders must submit an application to the City of Cedar Rapids to participate in the program.
- Builders must obtain their own construction financing and provide a letter of commitment from the financial institution with their application.
- Builders must provide a marketing plan for units including a budget line for marketing expenses.
- Builders will be allowed a builder's fee (overhead and profit) of up to 15% of the cost of construction for each individual dwelling unit. Builder's fee shall be included within the total cost to construct and contained within the per unit development cost limitations.
- Each application will be scored competitively by City staff and stakeholders based on the following criteria:
- Experience with affordable housing
- Marketing & financial feasibility
- Green building implementation
- Mix of housing product types
- Price range of housing products
- Location of housing product in relation to amenities
- Consistency with design guidelines
- Performance in Rounds 1-4 of SFNC
- Priority will be given to single family detached units. Row house and adaptive re-use projects may be eligible if able to meet minimum zoning and setback requirements, and are otherwise consistent with existing neighborhood character.
- Acquisition and rehabilitation is eligible but must comply with all applicable codes, and the structure must be fully code compliant upon completion.
- Units shall be consistent with design guidelines and mandatory Green Building requirements, with incentive points given for measures that exceed the minimum criteria.
- Units must have a sales price at or below $150,000.
- All eligible buyers must be at or below 80% of the Area Median Income based on household size.
- Buyers must qualify for and obtain their own mortgage financing in the form of a standard mortgage loan product from a participating, regulated lender
- Please submit your builder application to the City's Housing Services office at 101 First Street SE.
Builder Application (fillable)
Sample Builder Application
Tier 1 Boundary
Map of Tiers 1-3
Green Building Guidelines
Green Building Checklist
SFNC 4 Amended Administrative Plan Project Costs (fillable)
City of Cedar Rapids
101 First Street SE
Cedar Rapids, IA 52401
8:00 am - 5:00 pm