Building Services

Home Repair Resources
Building Services is here to assist you in the process of restoring your home.

State License
All contractors doing work locally are required to be licensed and registered through the State of Iowa. If they are licensed in another state, they still need to be licensed in Iowa to do work in Iowa. This is a benefit, as the damage is regional, and contractors licensed through the state are able to serve in any community in Iowa. The City is doing everything possible to expedite these permits so residents and their contractor can begin repairs immediately.

Contractor Verification
To aid residents in finding a reputable contractor, the Building Services Department has created a phone line residents can call if you’d like us to verify a contractor is licensed. This is a verification service, not a referral service.

To verify your contractor is licensed in the State of Iowa, please call the Building Services Department at 319-286-5929, Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

Finding a Reputable Contractor

  • Contractors should be licensed in the State of Iowa
  • If they are licensed in another state, they still need to be licensed in Iowa to do work locally
  • Contractors should carry insurance 
  • If possible, get more than one quote for repairs 
  • Do not pay upfront for repairs
  • Contact your insurance company for information regarding damage claims 
  • Check Iowa Courts Online to see if a contractor has been sued by unsatisfied customers
  • Download Brochure: Avoiding Disaster Fraud
  • To report a dishonest contractor, please contact the Iowa Attorney General’s Office at 1-888-777-4590 or 1-515-281-5926, or

Reputable Sources to Find Contractors

Permit Requirements
  • Permits are REQUIRED for significant roof damage, structural repairs, or substantial interior repairs. Examples include: wall damage or truss damage, anything structural that has been pushed out of alignment, attic rafters that are damaged, significant siding or large portions of roof repairs, anything that touches electrical, mechanical, or plumbing work.
  • Permits are NOT required for minor roofing repairs (replacing small portions of shingles), small sections of siding, small roof holes that can be patched with plywood, or other minor maintenance items. 
  • Your contractor is responsible for obtaining the appropriate permits from the Building Services Department
Online Permit Applications

Call Building Services at 319-286-5831 for any questions about the permit process

Request an Inspection
You can request an inspection from a certified building inspector after your contractor has completed work:

© 2020  Cedar Rapids, Iowa, 101 First Street SE

Powered By Revize Login