- Bad behavior
- Jumping the fence
- Bite incident
- Can’t afford care expenses
- Expecting a baby
- Litter box problems, etc.
If You Must Surrender Your Pet
We ask for a $50 surrender fee to help us take care of your pet. While in our care, your pet will receive:
- Updated vaccinations
- Medical care when needed
- Flea/Tick Treatment
- Spay/neuter when applicable
- Feature on PetFinder.com
Please be sure to CALL FIRST (319-286-5993) to make sure space is available to receive your pet. It is also helpful to bring your pet’s vaccination records, and any other veterinary records that may help us in caring for or adopting out your pet. Some additional information that is helpful to us includes:
- How long have you had your pet?
- Why are you surrendering your pet?
- Does your pet like children/other animals?
- Has your pet ever bitten anyone?
- Is your pet house trained (litter box trained)?
- Where did your pet sleep?
- Favorite toys/habits?
- What frightens your pet?
- Is your pet destructive when left alone?
- Does your pet know any tricks?
- How often was your pet exercised?
- What commands does your pet understand?
- How does your pet behave when visitors come to the house?
For your convenience, you may download and complete the Surrender and Pet Profile forms prior to arriving at the shelter.
Animal Surrender Form
Dog Pet Profile
Cat Pet Profile
The answers to these questions can help us find the right placement for your pet in a new home. Please call 319-286-5993 if you have any questions.