The mission of the Cedar Rapids Civil Rights Commission is: “To secure for all individuals within the City of Cedar Rapids freedom from discrimination because of age, color, creed, disability, familial status, gender identity, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex, or sexual orientation.”
The vision of the Cedar Rapids Civil Rights Commission is: “A Cedar Rapids Community that is welcoming, inclusive and preserves the personal dignity of all people regardless of their age, color, creed, disability, familial status, gender identity, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex, or sexual orientation so that we all may fulfill our productive capacities.”
View the 2017 Meeting Schedule
Regularly scheduled meetings take place on the 3rd Wednesday of each month.
The Cedar Rapids Civil Rights Commission (CRCRC) is an Administrative Law Agency which exists to:
- provide education and outreach to the community on civil rights and fair housing issues;
- receive citizen inquiries alleging discrimination; and
- determine jurisdiction under federal, state, and local civil rights laws.
If inquiries are jurisdictional, the CRCRC:
- assists in the processing, cross-filing, and investigation of complaints;
- assists in mediation/conciliation to resolve complaint allegations;
- recommends findings after a complaint is investigated; and
- assists in the public hearing process.
If inquiries are not jurisdictional, the CRCRC:
- refers citizens to appropriate agencies for assistance.