The City of Cedar Rapids has developed a Capital Improvement 10-Year Plan in order to efficiently carry out the Paving for Progress program and use the funds to create the greatest impact to the public’s roadways. The plan outlines improvements to 150 miles of roads in the next ten years. More than 50 percent of all vehicle miles driven in Cedar Rapids will be on roads repaired through Paving for Progress funding.
Creating a strategic 10-year plan enables the City to allocate funding to the best and highest use, relying on a prioritization list that is data driven, impartial, and measurable.
The Paving for Progress program, made possible by the one-percent local option sales tax, allows the City to utilize a pay-as-you-go funding source, rather than selling bonds and incurring debt. The City will collect updated pavement condition data on our streets and re-evaluate the plan every two years, to ensure the plan is supporting the best and highest use of funding.
Balancing Preservation and Reconstruction/Rehabilitation
The plan balances the need to preserve the community’s fair roads while also reconstructing and rehabilitating poor roads. Applying preservation efforts now will extend the life of our roads and prevent the state of deterioration we see today.
2015 Street Improvement List
- 4th Avenue SE from 5th St to 19th St
- 7th St SE from 8th Ave to 7th Ave
- 7th St SE from 6th Ave to 5th Ave
- 7th St SE from 3rd Ave to 1st Ave
- 8th St SE from 8th Ave to 3rd Ave
- 8th Avenue SW from 10th St to 7th St
- 11th Avenue SE from 3rd St to 4th St
- 19th St SE from 8th Ave to Glenway Dr.
- 20th St NW from Burch Ave to Johnson Ave
- 26th St SE from McCarthy Road to Parkwood Dr.
- 30th St SE from Seely Ave to Crestview Dr.
- 35th St SE from Mt. Vernon Rd Dalewood Ave
- 36th St SE from Mt. Vernon Rd to White Oak Rd
- Auburn Dr. SW from 12th Ave to 1st Ave
- B Avenue NW from 8th St to Highland Dr.
- Cherry Hill Rd SW from Johnson Ave to 1st Ave
- Coe Road from Center Point Road to A Avenue
- Crestridge Ave SW from Broadmore to 1st Ave
- Dalewood Ave SE from 34th St to 35th St
- Diagonal Drive from I-380 to the west 8th Avenue Bridge approach
- Dairydale Ct SE from 32nd St to Knoll St
- Edgewood Rd NW from Johnson Ave to E Ave
- Garden Drive SE from Washington Avenue to Grande Avenue
- Glass Road NE from Wenig Rd to Edgewood R
- Kenrich Dr. SW from Cul-de-sac to Cul-de-sac
- Mansfield Ave SE from 30th St to 31st St
- Meadowlark Ln NW from 1st Ave to Skyline Dr.
- Midway Drive NW from Peace Ave to Alma Dr.
- Ravenwood Terr NW from Edgewood Rd to 29th St
- West Post Road water main work in advance of road reconstruction in 2016
- West Post Rd SW from Ruhd St to Decatur St
- Wilson Ave SW from West Post Rd to Troy St
- Zelda Dr. NW from Midway Drive to 400 Zelda Dr.
Learn more about the steps that were taken to develop the City’s Pavement Management Plan. The video below was developed last year to highlight how the plan will utilize the right treatment, to the right road, at the right time.
Streets that saw an impact last year:
- 1st Avenue east from 27th Street to 40th Street
- 3rd Avenue SW from 6th Street to 10th Street
- 17th Street SW from 1st Avenue to 10th Avenue
- 19th Street SE from Glenway Dr to Bever Avenue
- 29th Street Dr SE from 300 to 400 block
- Bever Avenue SE from Memorial Drive to 22 Street
- Bever Avenue SE from 19th Street to 14th Street
- Blairs Ferry Rd from East of Miller Road to West City Limits
- Boyson Road NE from C Avenue to Corporate Limits
- Broadview Dr. SE from 5022 to Lawndale
- Diagonal Drive SW from I-380 to West 8th Avenue bridge
- Edgewood Road SW and Wiley Boulevard SW from 16th Avenue to Williams Boulevard
- Ellis Lane NW from Ellis Boulevard to 8th Street NW
- Garden Drive SE from Washington Avenue to Grand Avenue
- Green Valley Dr SE
- Juhl Drive NE
- Northbrook Dr. NE from Boxwood Lane to Laurel Lane
- Oakland Road NE from E Avenue to H Avenue
- Prairie Drive at 27th Street NE
Where can I go to learn more?
Residents who will be impacted by specific projects will be contacted directly, with information tailored to their neighborhood. This page will continue to be updated as projects are planned.
Click below for an interactive map of upcoming projects: